Conflicting information

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I only have top soil as substrate until atleast Friday so it will have to do for the next few days. It's fairly dry on top near the lamp but just underneath the surface is very damp still which is good.
I'll post a picture of Montys table

Your enclosure looks great James, and I'm thrilled to see someone using a large enclosure.

I don't see a water dish. Is that the thing that is partially hidden by the lamp in your picture?

You will have a continuous battle trying to keep humidity and temperature correct, and your substrate properly damp, with the wide open top. I would add a humid hide, so your tortoise has a retreat to go to and get away from the dryness.

I would move the hide that is up against the wall away from the wall. Russian tortoises are escape artists, and your tortoise will climb that hide and be up and over the wall before you know it.

James Stevens

Yateley
Thank you, It's a good size for now. I'll work on another towards the end of next year that will hopefully be around twice the size.
There is a water dish in there behind the lamp yes, he hasn't used it yet but I'm changing the water daily.
I'll have a look for a thread on humid hides, I'd like to make one to match the table. I've noticed temperatures in the end furthest from the lamp have dropped this evening, down to 17-18 degrees so I'll have to sort something.

James Stevens

Yateley
Humid hide should be set up tomorrow once the rest of the equipment arrives, what sort of temperature should I be setting it up for on the inside?

Disney

N.W. PA
Sorry, also he does not seem to be eating too well, I know that the place he was purchased from was feeding him cucumber, I have done some research and seen thats not good so he hasn't had any of that from me, I've been laying down lots a weeds that I have found, and know are safe, however he does not seem to want to eat these. Any ideas?

What breed of Horsefield is he? When I first got my Russians, I had almost the same problem with my male. I thought maybe he wasn't used to his surroundings, new atmosphere, too much activity etc. You say you are feeding him weeds. what really appealed to my stubborn, sickly tortoise was giving him greens with broad leaves. Although you're not suppose to feed lettuce in any such quantity, some fresh romaine really turned him on. He munched like crazy on it. Now he eats as much kale, turnip greens, collard greens, dandelion, fresh parsley, anything that is safe to eat, with fresh broad, green leaves. I supplement the greens with soaked up zoo med pellets or Mazuri Tortoise food. It could be that the vegetation you are feeding him just doesn't appeal to him by sight and smell. My tortoises smell everything before they eat it.

Your tortoise might be dehydrated, I'm almost certain he is, especially if he is lethargic, just by the way you say he is acting. Remove the water dish and soak your tortoise in CHIN DEEP lukewarm water in a separate container. Don't make it more than chin deep. He will drink to his heart's content and absorb much needed moisture. This is how you should be giving him water. He will drink. He will poop in the water. After 15 minutes or so, remove him and put him back in his cage. Tortoises will most certainly defecate in nice clean water, then drink he contaminated stuff. this is why I don't have a dish of water in the cage. Depending on your new friend's age, a hatchling or youngster should be soaked every day like this. My tortoises are 5 years old and I soak them 2 or 3 times a week. It doesn't hurt to soak them daily, but it is essential to soak babies everyday for much needed moisture, even though they may be a desert dwelling specie.

I am by far not an expert on tortoises but I have raised and bred a multitude of different reptiles. Good luck with your new buddy.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Do not take the water dish out of the enclosure. Russians need access to water 24/7. You can soak him in water about 90 to 100 degrees for 20, making sure the water stays warm. This will help with the hydration.

James Stevens

Yateley
Thank you everyone for your advice, I have been giving him daily baths in luke warm water for approx 30 mins. He has passed urine and stool a few times. There is always fresh water available in the enclosure but he never uses it.

I have set up a humid hide, just a plastic container with wet moss inside. I have a CHE on a thermostat above set to 80 degrees.

He's still not overly keen on eating but I'm pretty sure it must be the lack of light because I'm doing everything else by the book as it were.
Lights haven't turned up yet so hopefully when I get those he will perk up.

James Stevens

Yateley
Here's a few pics of my set up at the moment. And one of the laziest tortoise in the world Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15