New baby horsfield

Horsfieldkez

Hi all! We have just bought a one year old horsfield- last saturday. I am a little worried as he is not very active. He lives in a viv with a heat lamp and uv. The temp in the viv is always around 80 degrees. He seems to bury himself in the aspen under his hide and stay there. If we get him out, he will wander until he finds a dark spot and then just stay there! He ate on the first two days but not yesterday. He has a water dish too and i bathed him yesterday which i think he enjoyed, difficult to tell really! Any advice greatly received! Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A pic of his enclosure will help us better to help you. What kind of equipment you are using and sizes of enclosure etc. it's hard to tell, but he looks to be pretty pyramiding, which isn't the easiest to do in a Russian, he was either kept way to wrong or is not a year old. He should have some humidity depending on his true age of 30-60. Higher end for a yearly, lower end for say two and older. I'm going to guess you have him too hot, specially if the enclosure is too small,and the temp gauges you are using are those disc type things you buy at the pet stores, they are never very reliable. They will sometimes hide a bit when first getting used to their new surroundings.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Change his substrate. Aspen is not a good choice. Use coconut coir instead. He needs some dampness in the substrate. Needs.

What kind of light & timing? That may be a factor.

What foods are you offering?

Pet stores are fonts of misinformation. Check out russiantortoise.org for info on care

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif