Concerned about Ridges and Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
This is Tank, my male Greek born in the Spring of 2006. I posted a few months ago about my 2 greeks (thought they were Hermann's at the time!) being aggressive toward each other, and had questions about the significant size differences.

Anyway, we've worked out that problem for the most part (they're not separated yet, but sight blocks have made a big difference and we feed them separately). The problem now is that I'm becoming increasingly more concerned about Tank's ridges and pyramiding. I posted some pics of him I just took for any feed back.

I follow the recommended diet of a Spring mix (mainly mustard greens, romaine, and endives), use vitamin supplements, and soak him regularly. He's got what I think is sufficient UVB and UVA light, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Ridges1.jpg
Tank.JPG
Tank (2)1.jpg
TankPlasteron1.jpg
Tankbankend1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's not that bad :) Are you supplementing with calcium?

Danny

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
What a relief! Thanks so much for getting back with me so quickly, and thank you jorrow for your compliment- I think he's pretty cute myself.:)

Also regarding shell maintenance, what is the verdict on Vitashell? I think I've read somewhere to stay clear, but it came so highly recommended from the place where we got our Torts from.

And Danny no, in the past we used zoo-med Reptivite as their only supplement, but when we ran out our local pet store didn't carry it. We got what they said was a good substitute, but I'm not feeling very confident about it. It's called Tortoise Dust by the brand T-Rex. You think we should go back to the Reptivite, or get an additional calcium supplement?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You definately need a calcium supplement, thats why you got the slight pyramiding (not enough calcium in the diet). There are quite a few out there. You might have to try a few to see which one he likes.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'd personally stop the Tortoise Dust and only use a pure Calcium supplement. The Tort Dust doesn't have much of anything helpful in it, and has a bunch of filler ingredients. Your tort needs the calcium as Danny said. If you feel the need to use an additional supplement, there is a Total Nutrition for Tortoises supplement sold by Carolina Pet Supply that is all natural, and just has a bunch of ground up stuff a tort would get in the wild. My tort seems to like it. I alternate Calcium 4-5 days a week (he also has a cuttlebone), TNT 1 day a week, and an off day. Your tort's calcium needs will vary by age and I'd follow Danny's advice. If he hasn't had it in awhile, you may need to do it daily for awhile.

I agree to steer clear of the Vitashell. Simple is best. Keep in mind what they'd have in the wild, and try to mimic that as close as possible.

I personally don't trust any other sources of tort information that this forum and the links that are posted here, and my vet which I trust (although not all vets, even exotic animal ones, have an accurate knowledge or torts). Even some of the breeders and supposed experts out there aren't that great. Some of the pet shops are the worst. I haven't been steered wrong on this forum yet. All the wonderful people like Danny, Yvonne, and Maggie are awesome. :)

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thanks so much for all of your advice! We'll stop the tortoise dust ASAP and get a calcium supplement.

Thanks!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What about using group up eggshell as a calcium source?
And what about the ground oyster shell you get for chickens.
Both are very cheap and easy to come by for most.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Eggshells aren't the best things, unless you bake them (kills any salmonella) and grind them into a powder.
Oyster shells are a bit to big for most tortoise if you get the ones for chickens. You can though get oyster shells for songbirds that are ground much finer. You can get these at most petshops.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

I feel honored to be put in the same company as Danny and Yvonne. Thanks for the compliment!
I would never use vitasell. It clogs up the pores so the shell can't breathe, and it gets kinda waxy and hard to remove. If you think you need to clean his carapace just use warm water and a soft brush. And if you thought that it is a product that strengthens the shell, that's wrong also just use powdered calcium. I sprinkle calcium powder over the food every feeding and use TNT 3 times a week. Calcium just costs a few dollars and lasts a long time...I have a cuttlebone in all my habitats, their instinct tells them when they need calcium and they will chomp down on the cuttlebone, sometimes it just lays there for weeks, then bam! it's gone...That stuff added to a varied diet and your animal will grow strong and healthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.