Twilight's Ridges

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Here is a picture of Twilight this morning. Very friendly and personable.

She has these "ridges" on her scutes. Doesn't look like pyrimiding, but from what I have read, it is normal. She's about 4-6 mos old. My other babies are completely smooth with no ridges.

Daughter named her after Twilight Sparkle from MLP.

z48JIsK.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not uncommon. Could be the start of pyramiding, could be just they she's going to grow new growth. Not sure why some show ridges like that and some don't

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know why either. My hatchlings, all in the same enclosure, some have them, some don't.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
It's not uncommon. Could be the start of pyramiding, could be just they she's going to grow new growth. Not sure why some show ridges like that and some don't

Ok, that's what I've gathered as well. We're not terribly concerned, she is pretty solid. The humidity, temps, diet and lighting are all pegged.

It's interesting how much knowledge we have gained over the past recent years on tortoise husbandry (humidity, pyramiding etc..). I hope and imagine that in 5-10 years from now, we will know so much more like exactly what these ridges are and what causes them.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Seems normal. Some babies tend to develop initial ridges before smoother growth starts coming in