Concerned about plastron

benne070

Location (City and/or State)
NY
This is my 1.5 year old Hermanns tortoise, Kiwi. I’m really concerned about the deep crevices in the plastron seen in these photos. What is it and how can I fix it? Any help is really appreciated.

Attachments

• E4B825AC-114C-41E0-AB83-0F06EE4A45F3.jpeg
    E4B825AC-114C-41E0-AB83-0F06EE4A45F3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 6BF9E4DE-C10F-4E31-B595-226D3A171493.jpeg
    6BF9E4DE-C10F-4E31-B595-226D3A171493.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom @Yvonne G @Markw84

I don't know what it is caused from or if it will fill in.
My guess would be too dehydrated during the incubation period and at hatch.

Be sure to give daily 30 minute warm water soaks and have water available 24/7 and humidity in the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The limbs look thin and dehydrated. I would read this care sheet, and re-evaluate how you are keeping this tortoise. They need hydration and humidity as youngsters, and much of the old advice doesn't reflect this.

Questions are welcome, but to summarize, you need a large closed chamber, damp substrate, daily soaks, a humid hide, and you should be feeding this tortoise as much as it wants to eat of the right foods daily.

benne070

NY
The limbs look thin and dehydrated. I would read this care sheet, and re-evaluate how you are keeping this tortoise. They need hydration and humidity as youngsters, and much of the old advice doesn't reflect this.

Questions are welcome, but to summarize, you need a large closed chamber, damp substrate, daily soaks, a humid hide, and you should be feeding this tortoise as much as it wants to eat of the right foods daily.
Thanks for your reply. They told me after a year old that he didn’t need daily soaks anymore, maybe that’s the problem. He does have a large enclosure that’s closed, and a hide he goes into every night to sleep. I feed him greens and Mazuri tortoise diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your reply. They told me after a year old that he didn’t need daily soaks anymore, maybe that’s the problem. He does have a large enclosure that’s closed, and a hide he goes into every night to sleep. I feed him greens and Mazuri tortoise diet.
I would agree with that, but I go by size, not age. My general rule for Testudo species, is daily soaks of 30-40 minutes until they hit 100 grams. After 100 grams, I will start skipping a day occasionally. By 400 grams or so, two or three times a weeks should be plenty for any situation or climate.

What is the ambient humidity in your enclosure, and how much are you feeding him?

benne070

NY
I would agree with that, but I go by size, not age. My general rule for Testudo species, is daily soaks of 30-40 minutes until they hit 100 grams. After 100 grams, I will start skipping a day occasionally. By 400 grams or so, two or three times a weeks should be plenty for any situation or climate.

What is the ambient humidity in your enclosure, and how much are you feeding him?
I’m unsure of the humidity, I put a digital weather station in his enclosure and am trying to get a reading. I know it’s dry because it’s been bitterly cold where I am and my heat is on constantly. What are some good ways to keep humidity up?

I feed him a large handful of mixed greens everyday and two mazuri tortoise pellets soaked in water and sprinkled with calcium twice a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m unsure of the humidity, I put a digital weather station in his enclosure and am trying to get a reading. I know it’s dry because it’s been bitterly cold where I am and my heat is on constantly. What are some good ways to keep humidity up?

I feed him a large handful of mixed greens everyday and two mazuri tortoise pellets soaked in water and sprinkled with calcium twice a week.
Using the correct substrate and keeping it lightly damp is one way to keep humidity where it should be. Large shallow water dishes help too. The main thing is to reduce ventilation, especially in summer and winter when AC or heat is running a lot.

What is mixed greens? Spring mix? That is not a good tortoise food. Most grocery store greens are not good tortoise food. They tend to lack fiber, have too much of some compounds, and not enough calcium. You need to find more natural foods like weeds, leaves and flowers. That is difficult in winter, so you need to be amending your grocery store greens to make them more suitable for a tortoise.

Mazuri is balanced nutrition. When you add calcium to it, you upset that balance. Feed Mazuri by itself or mixed in with greens. Save the calcium powder for days when you are feeding greens by themselves. This will help correct the low calcium content of some grocery store greens.

All of this and more is explained here. I think you'll find some useful info:

benne070

NY
Using the correct substrate and keeping it lightly damp is one way to keep humidity where it should be. Large shallow water dishes help too. The main thing is to reduce ventilation, especially in summer and winter when AC or heat is running a lot.

What is mixed greens? Spring mix? That is not a good tortoise food. Most grocery store greens are not good tortoise food. They tend to lack fiber, have too much of some compounds, and not enough calcium. You need to find more natural foods like weeds, leaves and flowers. That is difficult in winter, so you need to be amending your grocery store greens to make them more suitable for a tortoise.

Mazuri is balanced nutrition. When you add calcium to it, you upset that balance. Feed Mazuri by itself or mixed in with greens. Save the calcium powder for days when you are feeding greens by themselves. This will help correct the low calcium content of some grocery store greens.

All of this and more is explained here. I think you'll find some useful info:
Thanks for your help. The humidity is around 47% right now. Just changed the substrate so hopefully it will help. I also do have a large water dish in there but he constantly drags the substrate into the water and makes the water all dirty. Any tips on that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for your help. The humidity is around 47% right now. Just changed the substrate so hopefully it will help. I also do have a large water dish in there but he constantly drags the substrate into the water and makes the water all dirty. Any tips on that?
What substrate are you using?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eco earth
Firmly hand pack it and that will keep the mess down.

I prefer orchid bark for testudo once they reach about 3-4 inches in length. Much less messy.

You can also place some flat rocks sunk into the substrate all around the water bowl to reduce the amount of substrate tracked in.