completely new!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SGV, CA
hi everyone, im 100% new to sulcatas! i just got speedy late this evening and i have some time tomorrow to go get some essentials. speedy looks to be about 3 in long. ive spent a good time reading about lighting and pyramiding and who knows what else, but for now im concerned on what i need. i live in southern california (next to pasadena) and want to get set up with food, supplements, bedding, lighting and anything else i might need. thank you all for the support and expect to see me here a lot because i want to take care of my speedy!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's pretty small to live outdoors 24/7, but you should build him an enclosure outside so he can be out there in the sun as much as possible. My little guys are in a small moveable pen with a lattice over the top to keep the birds from carrying them away. In order for their bones and shell to grow healthy and strong, they need calcium and the Vit d that comes from the sun. You can also provide Vit d by buying a UVB light. Little sulcatas will eat anything that grows (and some stuff that doesn't grow, like marbles, hair, etc.) To help keep the pyramiding down they need exercise, humidity and a good diet. Good luck with your new baby. Do you have a picture of him?

Yvonne

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
what kind of humid conditions do they need? i live near pasadena, ca.
ive been doing sooo much reading, i just want to do the best i can for speedy ;']

:[ no pics yet... no camera=no pics

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mrvrsick said:
what kind of humid conditions do they need? i live near pasadena, ca.
ive been doing sooo much reading, i just want to do the best i can for speedy ;']

In the wild, a sulcata digs a burrow many, many feet deep. When they are in the burrow they poop and pee in there, and this raises the humidity level inside the burrow. For an indoor sulcata baby, it would be ok to just glue a sponge to the "ceiling" of the tortoise's hide and keep the sponge wet. Or, if you use Bed-a-Beast (coconut coir) mixed with sand or dirt, you can just spritz the substrate with water every morning. The lights will quickly dry out the top layer, but it stays a little moist underneath.

Yvonne

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
the bed a beast is what im using right now, just got him an enclosure thats about 2x3. i should get him a uv light and a better shelter with some more furniture...im getting lots of good ideas from the other threads ;] oh and pictures, lots and lots of pictures!

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am near you, in Whittier. I don't really worry about the humidity in our climate. You have a small one it sounds, where ours are 3,6 and 8 year olds. Try and help you where I can, and you are welcome to see our set up if you are in Whittier area. Plant a few Hibiscus trees in the yard.....While your at it, plant a few more.
Welcome to the Site. You can get all your answers here.

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
aka2tal said:
I am near you, in Whittier. I don't really worry about the humidity in our climate. You have a small one it sounds, where ours are 3,6 and 8 year olds. Try and help you where I can, and you are welcome to see our set up if you are in Whittier area. Plant a few Hibiscus trees in the yard.....While your at it, plant a few more.
Welcome to the Site. You can get all your answers here.

lol, hibiscus it is! and im swamped with school right now but maybe sometime i can get to go check it out and get some ideas ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.