Common pet tort breeds in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danni

5 Year Member
What are the most common and recommended pet tortoises in the UK? Thanks :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Have you checked out the web site http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php? Lots of good information on keeping torts in the UK, including housing, etc. Seems like there are quite a few Mediterranean torts, due to their cold hardiness.
I am in the Pacific NW of the US, and their site helped me design my outdoor enclosure regarding drainage, etc.

S

stells

There is a wide range kept... but the most common... are probably Horsfields... Hermanns... Ibera and Marginated

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Horsefield and Hermanns are probably the most common. Although Hermanns aren't as easy to get hold of as they use to be due to the paperwork involved.

I have a leopards and where I got my leopard from said they sell a lot of redfoots as well as the Hermanns and horsefields. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
There are no breeds of tortoises. Unlike dogs, cats, horses, etc., turtles are captive wild animals, and not domestic, so they do not come in breeds, only in naturally occurring species, subspecies, and races or regional variants.

To answer your question, though, I would think the most common tortoises to be kept in both Europe and the US are in the Testudo genus, but I am not sure which species or subspecies are the most popular. It seems the Russian is very popular here in America while, based on what I've read from AC Highfield, the Hermann tortoise appears to be very popular in the UK. The Greek seems to be a bit less hardy than these two species, and so seems a bit less widespread, but still quite common in the pet trade.

richskara

5 Year Member
Im in the uk and I have a horsefield. They do take a lot of looking after so make sure you can make the commitment to them. It's like having a child ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.