Common musk

tinap

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I went to the pet shop today and saw some beautiful baby yellow bellies. I have my common musk shelly who lives by herself in a 120litre tank. She was in the animal shelter when I got her as she was severely damaged by the turtle she lived with, there was no further info.

I would like to get shelly a buddy but after some research not sure if I should. Luckily I wasn't impulsive today as the guy at the pet shop said the yellow belly would be fine and grow no bigger than 4 to 5 inches!! Looks like they need ponds not tanks! Any advice on a friend for my musk or if I should leave her be alone? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Personally, I wouldn't add another turtle to the tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
...oh, and welcome to the forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well your right a water turtle should be in a pond . To enjoy the sun , the bugs , and the grass . You' ll need a fence around the pond . My first fence was a white picket fence . But the turtles could fit through the pickets even if they had to turn side ways . So I put chicken wire around the inside of the fence that stopped them for a few years .
Don't put males together they bully each other . If if you mix the kinds of turtles they will cross breed . If put same to gether you'll have baby's . But I still with all that I still enjoy my pond . And so will you . Have a great turtle day and good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tinap

5 Year Member
Thanks for your responses. I think i got a little carried away seeing the new hatchlings :) shelly is best left alone she pretty much likes it the way it is anyway.

tinap

5 Year Member
Would she not just munch on fish? I don't think she would understand the concept fish are friends not food :) is there a type of fish she wouldn't eat?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I had a musk turtle for almost two years (a rescue I rehomed) indoors in an aquarium . He wasn't a hunter. One summer I brought in duckweed from my outdoor fish pond, not knowing they had goldfish eggs attached. Six hatchlings appeared and grew.

Eventually I transferred the fish to their own tank & put some back in the pond.

A well fed musk turtle is unlikely to catch fish. I wouldn't put in fish you're attached to, but it's worth trying to see how it goes. Other aquatic turtles would certainly eat the fish.