Colder than normal temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
I have a hibernation question. I live in Roseville CA and we have just started a colder than usual spell. Last night temps dropped 30 tonight 27, tomorrow 28, etc.

I have 3 torts hibernating outside in a large plastic yard shed. Inside they are in a custom built wood box with vented windows front and back. The box is filled with cedar shavings and shredded newspaper. I am worried that 4 days of usually cold weather maybe too much for them. Should I bring them into my garage until this passes and my weather is back to 40's?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First of all cedar is toxic. You need to get them out of there right away. It can kill them in a closed space like that.

Second thing is you need a remote probed thermometer. Put the probe in the box with the tortoises so you know what the actual temp is inside their box. There might be enough insulation to protect them on those below freezing nights, and also keep them cooler on our occasional warm winter days. If your temps are staying in the 40's you won't need to disturb them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use an indoor/outdoor min-max thermometer where the outdoor sensor is not wired to the indoor one. It uses radio signals I think. It was cheap from Amazon. I double-box Joe and put him in the garage.

The outdoor bit is in the inner box with Joe. The indoor bit which shows the temperatures is on top of the outer box. I have to remember that the reading marked 'Out' is actually 'In' the box and vice versa! It's very handy though because I can keep an eye on temperatures in the box and garage and be reassured that things were OK in the coldest part of the night.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I'm so happy I don't have to worry about hibernation issues. Plus I would miss them when they are out for so long. Also, follow Tom's advice, good luck!

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone for the info. I actually brought them in last night into the garage put them in a dark spot for a few days until this cold spell passes. My temp in the garage is about 50-55 a little warmer then they are supposed to be. Sorry they are not in cedar it is aspen. I have been hibernating now for about 6 years and have never had an issue but these are much colder temps than usual. Should I leave them for the remainder of the hibernation in the garage or can I move them back outdoors? Day time temps 60's night time 40? I will go onto amazon and look for a indoor/outdoor min-max thermometer (thanks for the great suggestions)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
techiegrl said:
Should I leave them for the remainder of the hibernation in the garage or can I move them back outdoors?

The answer to this depends on the temps outside. If its stable and cooler than 55, I'd go outside. If the garage is more stable and cooler, then I'd leave them in.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Temps outside for the next week - daytime 48 - 60 night time 32-37 Garage is pretty stable temps 50-56.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, if you have hibernated them w/o issue outside for 6 years, then once the cold snap is past, seems reasonable to move them back outside, as 50-56 seems a bit warm for longer term hibernation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
techiegrl said:
Temps outside for the next week - daytime 48 - 60 night time 32-37 Garage is pretty stable temps 50-56.

Sorry. I should have said the temps inside their insulated hibernation chambers. Outside air temps have little relevance to anything. The purpose of using the sort of boxes and containers you are using is to even out the extreme lows and highs and keep a more consistent cool temp.

What I meant was put the thermometer probe in the boxes outside where the tortoises will be and see what the temps are. Then you will be able to make the most educated decision about where to leave them.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Thanks Tom I appreciate the help. I ordered my thermometer probe today. After the cold snap I will move them back out and just monitor the temps. Sorry for all the questions never had this happen before. If they wake up should I just bathe them and keep them out of hibernation? Or is it ok to put them out in the shed and monitor them for the next month?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think that at 50 steady you should still be fine...however, you should do what has worked for you and your torts personally for your location and set up....:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If they wake up enough to urinate, you have to get them up.
They may move around, but if otherwise nl, you can put them back out when the cold snap is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.