Cold sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Im new. Its been 5 days with our new 75+ lb tortoise. He moved here and had an igloo home and heating pad but he hasnt slept in there yet. He sleeps outside under a bush. Today its overcast and so he isnt coming out. What should I do? Its got to be too cold for him- although I live in teh San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) so maybe its not that cold?

Should my husband and I pick up the tortoise and put him in his house?

Thanks
Karen

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
First off how cold will it get tonight? Is tomorrow going to be back to a nice warm day? Has he already been in his new home and on the mat, so he knows it's there? I know you said he has not yet slept there, but has he been in there at all?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Looks like the low is calling for 55 with 20 chance of rain.

I'm not an expert. But the safe call might be to put the tort in the igloo home in the late afternoon with the heat pad on and see which he likes the best. He may not know the the igloo has heat.

Good luck.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
If he hasn't been in his home yet, it may be a good idea to put him in there. He should realize it is warm in there.
When I get new tortoises that live outside, I will place them in their sleeping enclosure. Usually that is all it takes and they will use it nightly.

Tortuga505

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I would take him to the house, that way he can get used to it. In a couple of days he will prefer where it's warmer.

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your help. We picked him up (not an easy task!) and now he is in his house with the warm pad on. It really is cold here- by LA standards and I feel much more relieved.

What happens to a tortoise if they do get too cold? Is he then more susceptible to getting sick? What do I look for to know that his health is ok? Is there a cheat sheet somewhere?

Thanks all- I really appreciate it very much!!

Karen

Tortuga505

5 Year Member
New Mexico
I like the sulcata stations website, a lot of helpful information.

fanofthedog said:
Thanks everyone for your help. We picked him up (not an easy task!) and now he is in his house with the warm pad on. It really is cold here- by LA standards and I feel much more relieved.

What happens to a tortoise if they do get too cold? Is he then more susceptible to getting sick? What do I look for to know that his health is ok? Is there a cheat sheet somewhere?

Thanks all- I really appreciate it very much!!

Karen

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whenever you move them they have to relearn where their house is. You need to put him in there every night until he starts to go in on his own.

Also, you need to make something better for him before next winter. They can survive that way, but its not good for them. Its the difference between surviving vs. thriving.

Here's what I think is the best method:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Here is another way. That is a radiant heat panel overhead and Kane heat mat on bottom. Both are controlled by a single thermostat. This house has since been insulated with 1.5" rigid foam and covered with more plywood inside. The door ramp folds up to hold in heat and the tortoise and keep out any dogs or other tortoise predators. Sorry, I don't have updated pics.
msgfth.jpg

v0c1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.