COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Joe has been having a problem with his eyes on top of being totally deaf. It's a form of glaucoma and he already had macular degeneration. He's on 5 different drops a day several times a day each lately. If you think of him will you say a little prayer 🙏 I'm using graphing paper to make sure I get the drops right.
Poor Joe. My son has to do the glaucoma eye drop thing and he says the drops sting like hell! I'm wondering how you manage to get it across to a deaf person that putting this really bad stinging stuff in your eyes is a good thing. How do you communicate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, a lot has changed in my life since the last time I shared with you all. My tortoise partner was kind enough to come and get most of my tortoises, and I'm left with a more managable-to-an-85-year-old-woman groupl of animals. I have a nice breeding group of Geochelone denticulata, three groups that brumate (CDT, Russian, Texas) and a lone Manouria emys emys, three years old, that was born with no eyes. My food bill went from $150 a week to $30. I'm so comfortable with the less use of electricity that I'm able to actually run my space heater in my bedroom for ME! It takes me just a few minutes morning and evening to tend the animals.

I've never fully recovered from when I broke my knee cap and wrist, and haven't been able to take care of things outside needing care, so less animals to care for gives me more time to do outside chores, as I'm able. I just wish I could win the Lotto so I had enough money to hire stuff done!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Poor Joe. My son has to do the glaucoma eye drop thing and he says the drops sting like hell! I'm wondering how you manage to get it across to a deaf person that putting this really bad stinging stuff in your eyes is a good thing. How do you communicate?
That time I had to write to him and ask the question ❓ do you want to be blind and deaf? So he's waking me up at midnight to get his last drops for the day. I'm glad he got it and is trying to help. He's also develomentally disabled but he understood that time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well, a lot has changed in my life since the last time I shared with you all. My tortoise partner was kind enough to come and get most of my tortoises, and I'm left with a more managable-to-an-85-year-old-woman groupl of animals. I have a nice breeding group of Geochelone denticulata, three groups that brumate (CDT, Russian, Texas) and a lone Manouria emys emys, three years old, that was born with no eyes. My food bill went from $150 a week to $30. I'm so comfortable with the less use of electricity that I'm able to actually run my space heater in my bedroom for ME! It takes me just a few minutes morning and evening to tend the animals.

I've never fully recovered from when I broke my knee cap and wrist, and haven't been able to take care of things outside needing care, so less animals to care for gives me more time to do outside chores, as I'm able. I just wish I could win the Lotto so I had enough money to hire stuff done!
You were so much worse than my situation. I only fractured my knee cap but you also broke your wrist. My heart was breaking for you. Maybe the "little bit of rest" will do you good.🤗

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hope everyone is having a happy holidays! Sorry to the Christmas card group I had to sacrifice all my free time to work on my kitchen, but thank you for the ones I got! Kitchen is maybe 75% done- trim, gas line for stove, backslash etc need done. Happy with pennies I saved for sure since this is a hundred times better than before. The butcherblocks are great and look forward to them getting a used look. Nice to have some counter space to make tortoise loaf on! Bermuda grass pellets, hibiscus, plantain & agar agar. Stove would be functional if Amazon would have made the delivery like the advertised oh well!

Attachments

• 20231220_033605.jpg
    20231220_033605.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231220_033557.jpg
    20231220_033557.jpg
  • 20231220_033547.jpg
    20231220_033547.jpg
  • 20231220_033540.jpg
    20231220_033540.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You know Y, I never really view you as someone who does what you do, I see you as a "guider & teacher" so to hear your home chores were taking up so much time/effort and now it's easier makes me happy for you. I am looking ahead and setting things up to be as simple as possible for "me in 20 yrs" to do.
Thanks for reaching out to Ray too.

Ms Cathie, from what year are those cards? Wait a sec.....that's not you from .....1-3-5-10-15-...(go ahead, stop me at any time) YEARS AGO???? LOL

Man I love those countertops! I have the "blond butcherblock" the fake kind and HATE them. I wanted to change them but in 17 yrs it didn't happen...sad isn't it? LOL I'm stoked for you though and love that you did it yourself...... looks like you got the last "unreg'ed" gas stove on the market too! Is that hardwood floors under the protection? Nice

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You know Y, I never really view you as someone who does what you do, I see you as a "guider & teacher" so to hear your home chores were taking up so much time/effort and now it's easier makes me happy for you. I am looking ahead and setting things up to be as simple as possible for "me in 20 yrs" to do.
Thanks for reaching out to Ray too.

Ms Cathie, from what year are those cards? Wait a sec.....that's not you from .....1-3-5-10-15-...(go ahead, stop me at any time) YEARS AGO???? LOL

Man I love those countertops! I have the "blond butcherblock" the fake kind and HATE them. I wanted to change them but in 17 yrs it didn't happen...sad isn't it? LOL I'm stoked for you though and love that you did it yourself...... looks like you got the last "unreg'ed" gas stove on the market too! Is that hardwood floors under the protection? Nice
Yep heartpine floors underneath and it's an LG stove with blue interior

MaNaAk

Southend
Hope everyone is having a happy holidays! Sorry to the Christmas card group I had to sacrifice all my free time to work on my kitchen, but thank you for the ones I got! Kitchen is maybe 75% done- trim, gas line for stove, backslash etc need done. Happy with pennies I saved for sure since this is a hundred times better than before. The butcherblocks are great and look forward to them getting a used look. Nice to have some counter space to make tortoise loaf on! Bermuda grass pellets, hibiscus, plantain & agar agar. Stove would be functional if Amazon would have made the delivery like the advertised oh well!
Beautiful but is that the base of a Xmas cake in the plastic container @Blackdog1714?

Natrah

MaNaAk

Southend
That time I had to write to him and ask the question ❓ do you want to be blind and deaf? So he's waking me up at midnight to get his last drops for the day. I'm glad he got it and is trying to help. He's also develomentally disabled but he understood that time.
Hope you're okay @Cathie G. I found time to phone my former employer today and I'm sorry to say this but she is not well. It was a difficult conversation where I had to explain old memories and current situations and I don't think she's hard of hearing. Several years ago she admitted that she doesn't have a good memory because of lead poisoning but I never noticed it before but she does have a carer who takes her out to lunch

Goodnight

Natrah

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
😉 You're fine. I still have the last one 😊😁