COLD DARK ROOM

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
I just want to say that I posted this picture on another on a tortoise group that is local to me. I only joined a few weeks ago but when I posted this picture today someone replied saying that I should feed Jacky a varied diet and on a pet-loss forum that I joined a year ago someone else told me what I should be feeding Jacky. It's good that they are concerned about Jacky but Jacky is 88 and Daisy lived until she was 80. I am nearly 60 and they are (or were in Daisy's case) my lifelong pets so as the vet said I've done very very well!

Natrah

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy Easter to All. Old Timers in the CDR will recognize my hand-carved Bunnies from a few years ago. The newly dyed eggs are from this morning.

View attachment 368718
Hello and so glad to see you. I remember them. What you doing lately? With your wood working. I always enjoy seeing them. Has the bridge affected you? Wow what a crazy thing to happen.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Beautiful, I will have to check if they can grow in my region.
Daffs are the national flowers of Wales, they are beautiful and always a sign that spring isn't far away. They are everywhere at the moment, I think the few bulbs I had in my garden must have rotted because it's been so wet but they haven't appeared this year. If you grow them, Ray, keep out of Opo's reach as they are toxic to torts - as a re most things that grow from bulbs.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My vets cleared them both. I still have to coax Razberri to chew stuff though. She's a wabbit for heaven's sake 🙃 she should be chewing my house down and she's working me half to death instead.😉 the only thing I could find that will satisfy her palate is a hard Timothy hay food bowl. She grinds it into powder. I have to clean that up too 😭 crazy rabbit 🐰
Our big pet store - Pets at Home - sell all sports of things for rabbits to chew on - mineral blocks and chunks of wood that smell of things rabbits like etc. Maybe a hard wood log would tempt here though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning everyone!

Can anyone tell me whether a round lettuce is okay for Mediterranean Tortoises because my local Sainsbury's didn't have Romaine Lettuce yesterday. However Jacky does have kale so she can make a start on that.

MaNaAk
Iceberg lettuce can have a laxative effect and doesn't have any nutritional value. Lettuces with darker leaves are better. Aldi sells a crispy salad bag that has a good mix of 4 leaves, I use that as my base and then add things like lambs lettuce, pak choi leaves, dark romaine leaves (not the pale hearts) etc and of course dandelion leaves, and flowers, sowthistle and ribbon and broadleaf plantain weeds when they are growing. Have you see the tortoise table? www.thetortoisetable.org.uk - it's a great guide for finding safe foods and which parts to feed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon evening all and belated Easter Greetings from Lola and me.
shopping

We went away to my sister's for a long weekend, so I've not had much internet time.
I hope you are all well and that you and your families had a lovely Easter weekend.
I really hope none of TFO members have been badly affected by the Key Bridge that was demolished by that ship. Such a shocking thing to see and I feel so sad for the families of those who have died. Thankfully at that time of night it wasn't as busy as it could have been but still a great loss to many.

I have brought Alfie the dog back with me because my sister and her family are flying to the US again tonight so that they can be in Texas for next weeks total solar eclipse. (I think Cathie may experience it - or at least a partial eclipse - in Ohio).
They will meet up with my nephew and his wife who are in Ca but on holiday in New Orleans at the moment.

So Alfie will be keeping me busy for a couple of weeks, I hope our weather improves so that we can get out for some nice long walks. It's still so wet here. I think I've managed to catch up on all your posts and it's time for me to hit the hay now so I'll say Nos Da and see you tomorrow.`

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our big pet store - Pets at Home - sell all sports of things for rabbits to chew on - mineral blocks and chunks of wood that smell of things rabbits like etc. Maybe a hard wood log would tempt here though.
What's sad is our country sells stupid stuff for bunny toys. They'll even put seeds in them and seeds aren't good for them. I buy teething rings for children and such stuff for her to toss around. She isn't into the mineral blocks. Won't chew the apple sticks. She does enjoy the Timothy hay edible food bowls though when I can find them. It's nice that they last a while. I can hear her grinding her teeth through the night at times.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
What's sad is our country sells stupid stuff for bunny toys. They'll even put seeds in them and seeds aren't good for them. I buy teething rings for children and such stuff for her to toss around. She isn't into the mineral blocks. Won't chew the apple sticks. She does enjoy the Timothy hay edible food bowls though when I can find them. It's nice that they last a while. I can hear her grinding her teeth through the night at times.
I used to have a bunny name Thumber year ago, the only thing it like to chew was electric cords. Was told to put tobacco sauce on them to keep him from chewing on them. I haven't seen Timothy hay bowls, but Tractor Supply sells Timothy hay in small packs.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
When my daughter moved into my basement family room, it had an 8 speaker surround system with CDchanger, tuner, equilizer, tape...5 pieces plus speaker wires.

Tomorrow my grandson who came to work for us this week....will throw it all into the dumpster....every cord chewed through.

Yeah...but I did get this for my daughter in FL last week....
Wildlife sanctuary bunny-
20240331_170701.jpg

MaNaAk

Southend
When my daughter moved into my basement family room, it had an 8 speaker surround system with CDchanger, tuner, equilizer, tape...5 pieces plus speaker wires.

Tomorrow my grandson who came to work for us this week....will throw it all into the dumpster....every cord chewed through.

Yeah...but I did get this for my daughter in FL last week....
Wildlife sanctuary bunny-
View attachment 368858
Look here Razberri!

Natrah

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I used to have a bunny name Thumber year ago, the only thing it like to chew was electric cords. Was told to put tobacco sauce on them to keep him from chewing on them. I haven't seen Timothy hay bowls, but Tractor Supply sells Timothy hay in small packs.
That's where I buy her compressed Timothy hay bales at. I use it for her litter box. The only place I've seen the bowls is Walmart so far. They are so hard they help her grind down her teeth. Since I have animals running around the house not one wire is exposed. I love them to pieces but I trust they'll chew them 😁 they just feel too good to little teething buttheads 😉

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Over a year ago I bought a TENS unit. A few of you said they worked. So I thought I would try it. Well when it was delivered, I opened it. With the small print instructions and a bunch of wires. It overwhelmed me, so I set it aside and never used it. Today I had a visiting physical therapist come to the house. During the evaluation she asked if I had a TENS unit. Rose went looking for it and found it. The therapist showed me how to use it.
Can you all give me some tips on how to use it?
I hope this thing helps me.🙏

MaNaAk

Southend
Over a year ago I bought a TENS unit. A few of you said they worked. So I thought I would try it. Well when it was delivered, I opened it. With the small print instructions and a bunch of wires. It overwhelmed me, so I set it aside and never used it. Today I had a visiting physical therapist come to the house. During the evaluation she asked if I had a TENS unit. Rose went looking for it and found it. The therapist showed me how to use it.
Can you all give me some tips on how to use it?
I hope this thing helps me.🙏
Dear Ray,

Please could you tell me what a TENS unit is then maybe I can tell you how to use it.

Thankyoy very much

Natrah

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Dear Ray,

Please could you tell me what a TENS unit is then maybe I can tell you how to use it.

Thankyoy very much

Natrah
Here is a picture. You have pads with wire leads. The unit sends a stimulating pulse to the pads. Screenshot_20240403_160436_Chrome.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's where I buy her compressed Timothy hay bales at. I use it for her litter box. The only place I've seen the bowls is Walmart so far. They are so hard they help her grind down her teeth. Since I have animals running around the house not one wire is exposed. I love them to pieces but I trust they'll chew them 😁 they just feel too good to little teething buttheads 😉
My TENS unit is quite basic. I only use it occasionally on areas that are giving me jip and it isn't a long term solution for pain but I find that it does help - whether that's psychological or not I don't know. On my machine I just stick the pads where I'm feeling pain, set the sort of pulse I want (a choice of 8) and the strength of them, then set the time.
This is our NHS advice for using them which I follow and is well worth a read especially for where NOT to place the pads.

Hope that helps Ray.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
It's been another day of heavy rain showers and lots more on the way for the rest of the week. I took Alfie for a walk but the ground where I can let him off his lead to chase his ball is saturated so he came back a soggy doggy but he enjoyed himself.
My sister and her family should be in Texas by now, I think they were flying to Houston but not sure where they are staying, I hope it's drier and a bit warmer for them over there.
Not much else going on in my world at the moment and it's the end of another day so time I was in bed.
Enjoy the rest of your Weds. TTFN

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We used ours last week Ray. I don't have them here but can send easy to see pics on Sunday...sorry

Do not turn the unit on yet!! Make sure ALL dials on the unit are at 0 or OFF

Basically with 2 channels, you have two separate units in one box. Focus on Channel 1 or A or however they list them. Now, ONLY using the #1 or A channel we plug in a set of 2 wires. Each of those wires has a Skin pad.

Find the area you wish to treat and decide how you want the electricity to flow...sideways or longways to the treatment-area and stick the pads on. Now turn on the unit but be sure to keep the dials low. It will default to a steady shock....which is fine for now. Later you can change it to pulse or fast pulse and stuff...but keep it on default for now just to get you going. Once you are at this point, it's time to very slowly ramp the intensity dial up...SLOWLY Ray or your eyes will bulge out buddy.....

Warning....there is a BIG difference between #3 setting on my machine and #4. 4 I would use if I didn't need to keep the prisoners' alive so be careful.

They suggest working your way up to a medium-intense level....for YOU...we're all different so you really have to see where you feel it works best. I try to ramp it up high for max effect but some don't like that.

Good luck!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
We used ours last week Ray. I don't have them here but can send easy to see pics on Sunday...sorry

Do not turn the unit on yet!! Make sure ALL dials on the unit are at 0 or OFF

Basically with 2 channels, you have two separate units in one box. Focus on Channel 1 or A or however they list them. Now, ONLY using the #1 or A channel we plug in a set of 2 wires. Each of those wires has a Skin pad.

Find the area you wish to treat and decide how you want the electricity to flow...sideways or longways to the treatment-area and stick the pads on. Now turn on the unit but be sure to keep the dials low. It will default to a steady shock....which is fine for now. Later you can change it to pulse or fast pulse and stuff...but keep it on default for now just to get you going. Once you are at this point, it's time to very slowly ramp the intensity dial up...SLOWLY Ray or your eyes will bulge out buddy.....

Warning....there is a BIG difference between #3 setting on my machine and #4. 4 I would use if I didn't need to keep the prisoners' alive so be careful.

They suggest working your way up to a medium-intense level....for YOU...we're all different so you really have to see where you feel it works best. I try to ramp it up high for max effect but some don't like that.

Good luck!
Very good information 👌, I made the mistake by turning it on when setting was set on high. And it will make your eyes bulge 👀.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My TENS unit is quite basic. I only use it occasionally on areas that are giving me jip and it isn't a long term solution for pain but I find that it does help - whether that's psychological or not I don't know. On my machine I just stick the pads where I'm feeling pain, set the sort of pulse I want (a choice of 8) and the strength of them, then set the time.
This is our NHS advice for using them which I follow and is well worth a read especially for where NOT to place the pads.

Hope that helps Ray.
Thanks Lyn 😁