COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, very frustrating! Ive had a few projects like this. Garbage disposal in our sink stopped working. We checked everything….power, outlet, GFI, etc. Bought a new one, put it in - NOTHING! After even more digging around, turned out to be a loose wire on the on/off switch. AND, the old one was fine afterall. At that point - the new one stayed in.
Come to find out, the cord had come unplugged from the extension cord inside the PVC I was pushing it through! The filter ran all night. I'm anxious to go out there this a.m. and see if the water has cleared up a bit.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all.
It's a greyer day here but quite warm for the time of year.
Lola has been out and about more today, but he was overdue a poop so maybe that's why he's been so inactive the last few day. I think he's missing basking in his natural uvb.
No sign of Tufty Squirrel today so maybe he hasn't nested under the eaves and has moved on.
I hope so, it would rid me of my dilemma to euthanize or secretly release him.
Hope you're all having a good Thursday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good afternoon/morning all.
It's a greyer day here but quite warm for the time of year.
Lola has been out and about more today, but he was overdue a poop so maybe that's why he's been so inactive the last few day. I think he's missing basking in his natural uvb.
No sign of Tufty Squirrel today so maybe he hasn't nested under the eaves and has moved on.
I hope so, it would rid me of my dilemma to euthanize or secretly release him.
Hope you're all having a good Thursday.
Is the squirrel an imported invasive species?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is the squirrel an imported invasive species?
Yes ,it was introduced from America around about the beginning of the 20th Century. It decimated the red squirrel population with disease and out numbered them. The red squirrel has been reintroduced from Scandinavia and is recovering in a few parts of the UK (not my part of the UK). The grey has been a much loved part of the countryside, but a couple of years ago DEFRA announced that any caught had to be killed. Muntjac deer are also on their hit list but I've never seen any of those around here. I hate the thought of killing any healthy wild animal.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Come to find out, the cord had come unplugged from the extension cord inside the PVC I was pushing it through! The filter ran all night. I'm anxious to go out there this a.m. and see if the water has cleared up a bit.
Yep….i always wrap black electricaltape around connections like that. Good job getting it fixed.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes ,it was introduced from America around about the beginning of the 20th Century. It decimated the red squirrel population with disease and out numbered them. The red squirrel has been reintroduced from Scandinavia and is recovering in a few parts of the UK (not my part of the UK). The grey has been a much loved part of the countryside, but a couple of years ago DEFRA announced that any caught had to be killed. Muntjac deer are also on their hit list but I've never seen any of those around here. I hate the thought of killing any healthy wild animal.
I think squirrels are now protected here. Not sure about all of that but I do remember reading about it. What I do remember is it's illegal to keep one as a pet. The funny thing about that is once you raise one up for release they don't forget you ? Even the wild ones know you.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think squirrels are now protected here. Not sure about all of that but I do remember reading about it. What I do remember is it's illegal to keep one as a pet. The funny thing about that is once you raise one up for release they don't forget you ? Even the wild ones know you.?
They are very intelligent animals and lovely to watch.
Some butchers sell them - none that I know of but I saw it on TV - think it was in North of England.:(

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

I doubt if they are protected. I think Maryland has a million or so alone, probably more. DC & Virginia another few million. But can’t keep them as pets here

➡️ https://squirrelenthusiast.com/can-you-have-a-pet-squirrel-in-maryland/

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
They are very intelligent animals and lovely to watch.
Some butchers sell them - none that I know of but I saw it on TV - think it was in North of England.:(
People do hunt them here or used to or maybe they can still get a hunting permit for so many. I just don't remember much of the info on that because I'm not interested in eating one. I'd rather play with them.? They'll come and knock on your window for a cookie and take it straight from your hand. Even if they're wild. They can be a nuisance buttt... they're so darn cute and funny ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I doubt if they are protected. I think Maryland has a million or so alone, probably more. DC & Virginia another few million. But can’t keep them as pets here

➡️ https://squirrelenthusiast.com/can-you-have-a-pet-squirrel-in-maryland/
Yes. I checked Ohio and they aren't listed as endangered. No pets here either. The info has changed though as I read what I read a few years ago. Also read that some squirrels are a success story by being taken off protection status. The same happened with deer. We have so many of them now it's ridiculous. They'll graze in a yard in broad daylight with traffic going by...in the city!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is anyone else having problems posting messages?
Seems very slow to react tonight.
Wonder if there's some updates to TFO going on?
No. I'm not having slow posting yet ? hopefully not. I was laughing too much over Facebook and I should repent right now ??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yikes. My best friend/kayaking partner & his wife both tested positive for COVID this week. Both have been vaccinated.

➡️ “I think my wife has had it for ten days now and I started symptoms this past Tuesday. My wife had mild symptoms and getting over it now. I’m in rough shape and my doctor has prescribed a transfusion of antibodies at the hospital. Unfortunately they are very busy with Covid and I may not be able to get the procedure until Monday. I’m not yet bad enough to be admitted to the hospital. My oxygen levels and heart rate are very good, better than normal. Of course we are fully vaccinated, but that does not seem to help much. No idea where we caught it.

I asked him what their “symptoms” were like that caused them to get tested.

➡️ I’m feeling okay this morning but about the same. It feels like a very bad cold with bad fatigue. I’m more fatigue feeling than after a long hike or 14 mile paddle. No fever, oxygen level readings of 95 to 97 percent, which is good. But this morning I felt dizzy and had a oxygen level reading on 89% but then went back up. Doctor said below 90% for any period of time to go to emergency room.

➡️ At first, My wife got a cough and nasal type pain and she thought it was a sinus infection. She called doctor who prescribed an antibiotic. A few days later I got stuffy nose and a dry cough and feeling tired. I decided to get the virus test the next day, which was this past Tuesday. Things went downhill from there. Wife then got the test too which came back positive.

✅ Stay safe everyone - don’t let your guard down. COVID is still among us.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yikes. My best friend/kayaking partner & his wife both tested positive for COVID this week. Both have been vaccinated.

➡️ “I think my wife has had it for ten days now and I started symptoms this past Tuesday. My wife had mild symptoms and getting over it now. I’m in rough shape and my doctor has prescribed a transfusion of antibodies at the hospital. Unfortunately they are very busy with Covid and I may not be able to get the procedure until Monday. I’m not yet bad enough to be admitted to the hospital. My oxygen levels and heart rate are very good, better than normal. Of course we are fully vaccinated, but that does not seem to help much. No idea where we caught it.

➡️ I’m feeling okay this morning but about the same. It feels like a very bad cold with bad fatigue. I’m more fatigue feeling than after a long hike or 14 mile paddle. No fever, oxygen level readings of 95 to 97 percent, which is good. But this morning I felt dizzy and had a oxygen level reading on 89% but then went back up. Doctor said below 90% for any period of time to go to emergency room.

➡️ At first, My wife got a cough and nasal type pain and she thought it was a sinus infection. She called doctor who prescribed an antibiotic. A few days later I got stuffy nose and a dry cough and feeling tired. I decided to get the virus test the next day, which was this past Tuesday. Things went downhill from there. Wife then got the test too which came back positive.

Sorry to hear about your friends & hope they mend very quickly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Sorry to hear about your friends, but thank goodness they were vaccinated or they could have been much worse and hospitalised.
I know a few people who have had it in spite of the jabs but the symptoms have been milder and manageable.
I've not heard of the antibodies transfusions being done in the UK but I hope they are soon able to get treatment and feeling better soon.
You and your wifey take care too!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good evening/afternoon all, we've had another grey day but warm and humid.
The Squirrel seems to have disappeared as quickly as he arrived thank goodness. Neighbourhood 'tiff' averted!

Lola is fine but he knows the season has changed and hasn't attempted to go out this week.
I am waiting for my nephew to arrive to share an Indian takeaway with him. I haven't had one of those for ages so looking forward to some spicy food - not too hot though! ?

See you later.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Feels like Summer again here in Maryland - it’s hot in the sunshine, but much nicer in the shade. A few morning errands completed, and for Sully we picked up a bundle of fresh dandelion greens & a handful of cactus fruit (aka tuna) at the International Market. Since “COVID” the prices on dandelion greens went from $1.99 per pound to $3.00. We used to purchase many dandelion greens, but stopped. So, today was a nice treat.

Completed another 10% water exchange in our large aquarium. All the fishies are happy.