COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I saw that on our news here about your country. But I was surprised to find toilet paper while shopping the other day because I heard on the news we once again have a shortage of that. The horders probably still have a garage full ? that they couldn't sell ? cause most people had at least a roomful. That kinda makes me wonder what people are full of. Everyday I wake up is gonna be a good day one way or another ?
It amazes me how selfish people are with stockpiling things at the first suggestion of a shortage. I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers start the rumours themselves to boost their sales!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It amazes me how selfish people are with stockpiling things at the first suggestion of a shortage. I sometimes wonder if the manufacturers start the rumours themselves to boost their sales!!
Yea. They keep trying to tell people not to stock pile stuff but some people don't believe anything anymore. In a way I can see why. But really, a person needs a little more than tp to survive ? so just stay a bit ahead until the manufacturer can catch up. It also drives the price up when they have to pay overtime to keep up with the demand. I place the blame squarely on the people that don't care about anyone else but their own bum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all, it's a very wet day again but I'm not planning on going anywhere as I have to wait for a parcel to be collected today.

I ordered a portable gas heater last weekend to be used with a Calor gas bottle for this winter, (cheaper than electric) but have had problems.
The heater arrived on Monday so I spent the day waiting for that. Unfortunately it had a big dent in the side panel so I contacted the sellers who were great about it. They arranged a replacement and for the couriers to collect/return the first. So I waited all day yesterday for that and the second heater eventually arrived OK but the courier couldn't take the first because his scanning gun wasn't working. They are coming back today to collect it but can't give me a time so I will be waiting around for a third day.
I thought I was going to have to return the second too because there was a piece of plastic rattling around inside it but fortunately I managed to free that. The box it arrived in was in a terrible state so it had obviously had a rough ride with the couriers.
Now if I'd been able to find a shop that sells them I could have gone and collected it myself and been a lot more careful with it. I really don't like online shopping.:(

Hope you all have a good Thursday.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good afternoon/morning all.
We have a very wet Tuesday here with more heavy rain than we've seen in a long time - much needed so all good. There should be some thunder and lightning on the way later.
Lola has obviously sensed the change in the weather and is staying in the warm.

I popped out earlier to see my niece before she moves to London to start her first full time job. I think she will find it hard financially - renting one room in a shared house is going to cost her £800+ a month - but it has always been her dream to live and work there so she needs to experience the reality of it for herself. It's never appealed to me - too big and busy. Give me the hills and valleys any day!
Hope you're all having a good day.
My first proper job was in London, and I walked to work from the tube station across Westminster Bridge - I felt so privileged going across that bridge twice a day - however, it almost ended my life one day, when a motorbike almost smashed into me as I was crossing ! My large bed-sit cost £28 a month, I think, and life was great !! I would hate to live there now, though.
Angie

Jan A

Boulder, CO
In this instance, I don't think so. There are real inconsistencys in all phases of getting a product to market, be it personnel vacancies & experience, manufacturing, transportation to market, etc. With intervening weather, fire, flooding disasters, you have more of the same. It takes YEARS to straighten this out. Government intervention, local or federal, is not always helpful.

We have not recovered economically from the lockdowns & those disruptions to the supply chain. Now more disruptions are here or coming. The mandates are going to cause more disruption of the supply chain worldwide.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
In this instance, I don't think so. There are real inconsistencys in all phases of getting a product to market, be it personnel vacancies & experience, manufacturing, transportation to market, etc. With intervening weather, fire, flooding disasters, you have more of the same. It takes YEARS to straighten this out. Government intervention, local or federal, is not always helpful.

We have not recovered economically from the lockdowns & those disruptions to the supply chain. Now more disruptions are here or coming. The mandates are going to cause more disruption of the supply chain worldwide.
I think you are correct. I saw on tv,where the U.S. is short on truck drivers also. My son works at General Motors truck plant. They have been shut down no and then. Because of the shortage of the computer chips for the vehicles. Good thing he builds trucks. Since they are the best money makers for General Motors. They tend to shut factories down. Building the least profit producers.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all, it's a very wet day again but I'm not planning on going anywhere as I have to wait for a parcel to be collected today.

I ordered a portable gas heater last weekend to be used with a Calor gas bottle for this winter, (cheaper than electric) but have had problems.
The heater arrived on Monday so I spent the day waiting for that. Unfortunately it had a big dent in the side panel so I contacted the sellers who were great about it. They arranged a replacement and for the couriers to collect/return the first. So I waited all day yesterday for that and the second heater eventually arrived OK but the courier couldn't take the first because his scanning gun wasn't working. They are coming back today to collect it but can't give me a time so I will be waiting around for a third day.
I thought I was going to have to return the second too because there was a piece of plastic rattling around inside it but fortunately I managed to free that. The box it arrived in was in a terrible state so it had obviously had a rough ride with the couriers.
Now if I'd been able to find a shop that sells them I could have gone and collected it myself and been a lot more careful with it. I really don't like online shopping.:(

Hope you all have a good Thursday.
I know what you mean about shopping online. There's nothing like seeing what you're buying in person. But even that is getting iffy. Most of the sales people can't or won't take the time to find the answers about the product and your only choice is to take it home. Then open it and return it if you find that it's not what you really want. Online is even worse though.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think you are correct. I saw on tv,where the U.S. is short on truck drivers also. My son works at General Motors truck plant. They have been shut down no and then. Because of the shortage of the computer chips for the vehicles. Good thing he builds trucks. Since they are the best money makers for General Motors. They tend to shut factories down. Building the least profit producers.
Our Office Max had empty shelves because a big part of their products come from China. I was scared they were starting to go out of business. They're not back to where they were but things are slowly coming back. I love just shopping in that little store. You never know what you'll find and while you couldn't find tp anywhere else they actually had some. I guess all the horders never thought to buy it all up from an office store ? I guess office people need tp too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My first proper job was in London, and I walked to work from the tube station across Westminster Bridge - I felt so privileged going across that bridge twice a day - however, it almost ended my life one day, when a motorbike almost smashed into me as I was crossing ! My large bed-sit cost £28 a month, I think, and life was great !! I would hate to live there now, though.
Angie
£28 pound a month!!! Those were the days!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
End of September & our temperatures are still very mild during the day with overnight temps just getting into the 50’s. Perfect outside weather for pretty much everything.
Our daytime temps are in the 50s dropping to the mid 40s at night. It feels colder because of the rain and dark days at the moment.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
End of September & our temperatures are still very mild during the day with overnight temps just getting into the 50’s. Perfect outside weather for pretty much everything.
Sapphire can only be outside for 2 or 3 hours now because even though the sun warms up his enclosure really nicely, the sun goes down earlier across the roof of my home. Nights are in the high 40's and low 50's. I've had to drag out my leggings and wear them day and night ? even though the day temps are averaging the mid to high 70's even into the 80's. I can feel the change in my bones and I know he does too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning and Happy October to you all.
It's a brighter but showery and windy day here - the leaves are falling and the usual people who don't like trees are complaining about the mess. Why buy a house near well established trees if you don't like them and spend your time trying to get them cut down? o_O
Lola has peeped out but is yet to venture out of his warm bed.
I've had a trip to the tip this morning and sorting mxore stuff out for the charity shop. The only trouble is I end up with much more mess than I started with - still I suppose you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs :)
Anyway better crack on!
Hope you all have a good Friday!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning and Happy October to you all.
It's a brighter but showery and windy day here - the leaves are falling and the usual people who don't like trees are complaining about the mess. Why buy a house near well established trees if you don't like them and spend your time trying to get them cut down? o_O
Lola has peeped out but is yet to venture out of his warm bed.
I've had a trip to the tip this morning and sorting mxore stuff out for the charity shop. The only trouble is I end up with much more mess than I started with - still I suppose you can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs :)
Anyway better crack on!
Hope you all have a good Friday!
Sounds like a pretty productive day already. Enjoy. 52F here this morning, sun is up. I’m off for some early morning kayaking.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
£28 pound a month!!! Those were the days!!
Yes, and it was a good place with a huge window. It was off Peckham Rye - best fireworks I ever saw there, on November 5th.! It was a pleasant neighbourhood, in those days - there are gangs and stabbings, and a lot of trouble
there now, I think. There was a huge warehouse place , full of strange bits of furniture, carved screens and other really old church stuff, which would probably be worth a fortune now - some of it was really beautiful, but covered in dust, and possibly woodworm too. Still, I wish I had been able to get something - but no room! However, I do have a carved bookcase made by my great-uncle from church pews , which holds my treasured collection of different editions of Swiss Family Robinson !!
Angie