COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I have been removing the thorns, each one individually with a parry knife while I submerge the pad in cold water ( Like removing the eyes of a raw potato). I know it possible to feed your tortoise some pads with thorns, but I will continue to make sure I get the thorns off before feeding. Like I said before, Sammy is spoiled and just after having his for just over 3 years now, he has me trained.
Also there are Hispanic ladies online that have ideas for removing the spines. It looks pretty easy and it's a regular part of their diet. I won't feed my tortoise the spines either even though I know you can. He doesn't like them so it doesn't really matter anyway.?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.
Bright and sunny again.
Lola is already outside and he spent most of yesterday out there - knocking over plant pots, getting stuck under a hebe shrub which meant I had to crawl under it and cut the lower branches so he could escape. He seems to look for trouble! It's nice to see him behaving like a tort.
Hope you all have a good Monday!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all!! It’s very cool here but will warm up quickly as the sun works his way out.. I have lots of cleanup from Our little mud ride to get done. I’m thankful for the Memorial Day holiday!!!
I let my flock out yesterday Evening for a bit and my waterfowl Finally worked their way around the side of the house that is open to the lake.. they were so close but i called them back to the coop due to the lateness of the day... I think today will be their big day! I am excited for them to start spending days on the lake. i think they’d re old enough now and they dont give me any problems coming in at night..

hope everyone has a good monday and a good holiday if your in the states..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yesterday I did a lot of strimmer'ing (strimmer = string trimmer [thanks, UK!!] ) so today I had planned to get my trusty rake and bushel basket and get it all cleaned up. Whew! It's already 87°F out there and even hotter in the sun. S'posed to get up to 103°F later. So needless to say, this old gal is parked in her recliner with the fan pointed at me, and the evaporative cooler turned on.

April 30th my two russian ladies laid eggs - two for F#1 and four for F#2. Ever since then F#1 has had her butt down in one or the other of two locations, excavating. I was starting to worry she may be egg bound, because two eggs is a rather small amount for such a large Russian (8").

Yesterday I was watering and when I saw her in her usual position over a potential nest, I had a brainstorm. The two locations she was interested in were both in VERY loose soil, and as she pulled out a scoop of dirt more trickled back into the hole. So I directed the hose into each hole. . . not a lot, just a bit. This a.m. as I was making my rounds, feeding, watering and cleaning up I spied an egg under the edge of the fence between the Russians and the CDTs, right at the edge of one of the potential nests. Scraped out the dirt, and VOILA! four more eggs!!

So this year I get to try my hand at hatching ten or twelve (I've lost count) russian eggs! I've emailed to Carol S for her expertise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all!! It’s very cool here but will warm up quickly as the sun works his way out.. I have lots of cleanup from Our little mud ride to get done. I’m thankful for the Memorial Day holiday!!!
I let my flock out yesterday Evening for a bit and my waterfowl Finally worked their way around the side of the house that is open to the lake.. they were so close but i called them back to the coop due to the lateness of the day... I think today will be their big day! I am excited for them to start spending days on the lake. i think they’d re old enough now and they dont give me any problems coming in at night..

hope everyone has a good monday and a good holiday if your in the states..
Don't forget that ducks are nuts ? my son had one that loved the water so much that he had to go out on ice to make it come home. Do you have a boat??

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Finally sunshine & warmth. After 40 days and 40 nights of cold, dark & rain, the sun arose. Wow. we had record breaking low “high” temps the last few days. Our Sully stayed in her outside nightbox for three full days. Wet, cold, windy & 50F.

The Cicadas that were emerging with last week’s heat all stopped. Nothing. No emergence, no flight, no singing to mates. Today - back at it. Their batteries rejuvenated in the bright clear sunshine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sooooo, yesterday we tackled laying brandy new vinyl sheet flooring in the House Rehab laundry/HVAC room. It’s a small area, but has a complicated floor design. HVAC unit, condensate pump, washer, dryer & storage shelving unit all occupy floor space.

We never installed vinyl flooring before, let alone a complicated floor layout.

SSooo, we took our time. Laid the floor plan out on the vinyl. And winged it.

The Plan
C8F07CCD-E08B-4CBC-8441-BE3C15503B7B.jpeg

The Install
E0DE35D1-8007-4FAB-8376-BCFE96BCCE1B.jpeg

The Old Floor
8A21EBE8-6381-465E-AABC-974B3D9C92A2.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Finally sunshine & warmth. After 40 days and 40 nights of cold, dark & rain, the sun arose. Wow. we had record breaking low “high” temps the last few days. Our Sully stayed in her outside nightbox for three full days. Wet, cold, windy & 50F.

The Cicadas that were emerging with last week’s heat all stopped. Nothing. No emergence, no flight, no singing to mates. Today - back at it. Their batteries rejuvenated in the bright clear sunshine.
I've yet to see a single cicada. Several times I thought I heard them maybe. It's starting to warm up here also so maybe soon.? Maybe the nights need to be warmer too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yesterday I did a lot of strimmer'ing (strimmer = string trimmer [thanks, UK!!] ) so today I had planned to get my trusty rake and bushel basket and get it all cleaned up. Whew! It's already 87°F out there and even hotter in the sun. S'posed to get up to 103°F later. So needless to say, this old gal is parked in her recliner with the fan pointed at me, and the evaporative cooler turned on.

April 30th my two russian ladies laid eggs - two for F#1 and four for F#2. Ever since then F#1 has had her butt down in one or the other of two locations, excavating. I was starting to worry she may be egg bound, because two eggs is a rather small amount for such a large Russian (8").

Yesterday I was watering and when I saw her in her usual position over a potential nest, I had a brainstorm. The two locations she was interested in were both in VERY loose soil, and as she pulled out a scoop of dirt more trickled back into the hole. So I directed the hose into each hole. . . not a lot, just a bit. This a.m. as I was making my rounds, feeding, watering and cleaning up I spied an egg under the edge of the fence between the Russians and the CDTs, right at the edge of one of the potential nests. Scraped out the dirt, and VOILA! four more eggs!!

So this year I get to try my hand at hatching ten or twelve (I've lost count) russian eggs! I've emailed to Carol S for her expertise.
?10 or 12 little monkeys but sounds so fun. I wanted to see a baby Russian when I bought Sapphire. Just to see if they are really blue as babies. I'm still glad I ended up with an adult though. I'm sure you'll post pictures as a proud mamma.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How long does

it take for those eggs to hatch??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Don't forget that ducks are nuts ? my son had one that loved the water so much that he had to go out on ice to make it come home. Do you have a boat??
I have someone else’s duck that comes in to my shore when I call and eats from my hand but he won’t come up in the yard... and my darn geese and ducks are chicken!!! They are too scared to go all the way to the lake yet.. they have been out all day and follow me around. I’ve got them within 20 yards of the water and then they turn around and run back up the hill ?