COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
When we bought this house in 1994, it had solar hot water panels. They still work today even though no one installs this type anymore.

We take solar panels with us when we go to a campground at Lake Powell, & run off stored battery power at night unless we need air conditioning--then you need generators. We have a 2002 bad *** 5th wheel with 2 air conditioners, but then you have to run off generators & turn your generators off at 10:00p. So it's nice to have battery power to run fans at night, if I don't keep the tv on all night.

Cost-effective is something solar is not unless you're off the grid.
I suggested to Rose about getting a fifth wheel or motorhome. She is not game, she thinks she couldn't operate it properly. ?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I suggested to Rose about getting a fifth wheel or motorhome. She is not game, she thinks she couldn't operate it properly. ?
If I didn't have Dan, I couldn"t do it either. I flunked my 1st driving test because I couldn"t parallel park. I can't back a boat trailer down a boat ramp. (Maggie, I'm sorry). I missed the 5th wheel but backed into his beloved F350 w/his Bronco. Now, when I do my shopping on Fridays, he backs the car out of the garage past his truck, the 5th wheel & a solar panel. So, Rose I understand perfectly.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
The money you pay out over those years is more than you would save in electricity. I guess the plus is you would be helping the environment.
There's the rub, Ray. You're still polluting to make the panel, you're consuming aluminum, silver, silicon, & you can't really recycle much of it. Same with wind turbine blades.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning! It’s a slow Sunday here. We had tornadoes through out the area last night. I think everything on my property is fine but I haven’t been out too far yet. The power was out and we ran on the backup for most of the night. Tis the season!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning! It’s a slow Sunday here. We had tornadoes through out the area last night. I think everything on my property is fine but I haven’t been out too far yet. The power was out and we ran on the backup for most of the night. Tis the season!

Good morning Heather
Hope everything and everyone is OK.
It was very wet and windy here through the night too but nothing to what you've had.
Take care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
It's very drizzly and cold here, I won't be going far today.
Lola is out and about but I didn't see him at all yesterday - he didn't even eat in his hide.
He must have worn himself out on Friday.
Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The money you pay out over those years is more than you would save in electricity. I guess the plus is you would be helping the environment.
And the life of the panels is only about 25 years. They don't tell you that when they're selling.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Elliemay we are expecting the storms that hit you at around 3 PM today so fingers crossed.
I hope it misses y’all.. you only need a 1/4 mile off the beaten path.. my little hill seems to be in a good location here. I have noticed that there is one black top road just a couple miles away that seems like tornado alley.. those poor houses get reamed every time one comes through!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
All is good here! I hope you get to relax on your dreary day.. I plan on spending the day with a book and baby chicks:)
I've managed to spend some time in the garden in between showers, wasted a lot of time watching Lola doing even less than me, and soaking him.
I've also spent time googling a fungal growth on my more than 30 year old Weigela shrub which seems to have a lot of dead branches on one side of it this year. It looks like it could be an infection that has entered the tree via a wound from incorrect pruning at the wrong time of year.
I can't prove it but my guess is it's because of the clandestine cutting my neighbours have been doing over the last few years. :(
There's still quite a lot of healthy new growth on the other side of it. I'll just have to chop out all the dead wood and hope it will slow it down.
I'd much rather be playing with baby chicks!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I've managed to spend some time in the garden in between showers, wasted a lot of time watching Lola doing even less than me, and soaking him.
I've also spent time googling a fungal growth on my more than 30 year old Weigela shrub which seems to have a lot of dead branches on one side of it this year. It looks like it could be an infection that has entered the tree via a wound from incorrect pruning at the wrong time of year.
I can't prove it but my guess is it's because of the clandestine cutting my neighbours have been doing over the last few years. :(
There's still quite a lot of healthy new growth on the other side of it. I'll just have to chop out all the dead wood and hope it will slow it down.
I'd much rather be playing with baby chicks!
Damn nieghbors!! Karma will intervene one day .. unitl the , keep the oven well stocked and we will brainstorm revenge for fun ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Damn nieghbors!! Karma will intervene one day .. unitl the , keep the oven well stocked and we will brainstorm revenge for fun ?
If it does die and I still haven't found a new house, then I shall be planting a real tree - not just a large shrub. That will give them something to complain about!