COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Hello everyone!

Final exam tomorrow, German.

I’ll be going on holiday for a week soon and I’m leaving the tortoises with my grandparents. I’m a bit nervous about that as I’ve never left them before but I will make a care guide for them with all the vet details:eek:. Plus my friend who raised my youngsters lives across the road and he said he would pop in to check them over.
Good luck and have fun...getting them back...after the grandparents figure out how much fun tortoises are...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Well last night about 9. I opened the door from the house to the garage and noticed the well pump running. I could tell by the sound it lost its prime. So got the wife and tried to get water again. After numerous tries no luck. Removed the PVC pipe back to the check valve. Took the check valve off and there was water in the pipe. So gave up for the night went to home depot in the morning. Bought some new fittings, new check valve and resembled. First try to prime no luck, 2nd time success! Went directly in the house and took a shower. Felt good to achieve something.

Good job on the diagnosis, getting the right new piece AND the fix!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Good luck and have fun...getting them back...after the grandparents figure out how much fun tortoises are...
My Grandads looking forward to looking after them. He used to have a Hermann’s tortoise in the 70s, back then they were all imported and people just let them roam around the garden freely. He gave it to a tortoise lady to look after while on holiday but he fell on his back:(

I imagine if that didn’t happen then he would still be around when I was small, he was a hardy tort.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My Grandads looking forward to looking after them. He used to have a Hermann’s tortoise in the 70s, back then they were all imported and people just let them roam around the garden freely. He gave it to a tortoise lady to look after while on holiday but he fell on his back:(

I imagine if that didn’t happen then he would still be around when I was small, he was a hardy tort.
That's sad but I bet your granddad will be watching your little ones like a hawk.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well last night about 9. I opened the door from the house to the garage and noticed the well pump running. I could tell by the sound it lost its prime. So got the wife and tried to get water again. After numerous tries no luck. Removed the PVC pipe back to the check valve. Took the check valve off and there was water in the pipe. So gave up for the night went to home depot in the morning. Bought some new fittings, new check valve and resembled. First try to prime no luck, 2nd time success! Went directly in the house and took a shower. Felt good to achieve something.
I've got a problem with water running through an overflow pipe from my water tank if you'd like to pop over and fix that for me, Ray.
It may be cheaper to pay your flight than get a local plumber out!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This morning I was walking past the pond with my line trimmer, planning to chop some weeds, and I spotted a softshell turtle laying on the side of the pond in the sun. He didn't move when I walked past, so I tapped his shell and he flinched, but he still stayed there. I have two softshells, but they're both quite a bit bigger than this turtle, so I figured someone (read "my next door neighbor") tossed him over the fence. I don't know if the action of tossing the turtle into the pond from the other side of the fence injured him or if he came that way, but there's definitely something wrong with the turtle, and I think it's neurological. I've got him in a tub of shallow water and I'll try to get him to eat, but I don't know what else I can do for him. I guess time will either be his healer or his demise.
Aw - that's a shame for the poor little guy.:(
Hope it's not as serious as you think and he recovers, but it doesn't sound good.
It's a good job he has you to try to help him.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This morning I was walking past the pond with my line trimmer, planning to chop some weeds, and I spotted a softshell turtle laying on the side of the pond in the sun. He didn't move when I walked past, so I tapped his shell and he flinched, but he still stayed there. I have two softshells, but they're both quite a bit bigger than this turtle, so I figured someone (read "my next door neighbor") tossed him over the fence. I don't know if the action of tossing the turtle into the pond from the other side of the fence injured him or if he came that way, but there's definitely something wrong with the turtle, and I think it's neurological. I've got him in a tub of shallow water and I'll try to get him to eat, but I don't know what else I can do for him. I guess time will either be his healer or his demise.
It's a good thing he found you of all people...and since you're a parent, again, you have a perfect right to feel like a father...or a mother...I hate seeing young people getting their head slammed on the ground too. Now I have to wish my sons Happy Fathers day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello everyone!

Final exam tomorrow, German.

I’ll be going on holiday for a week soon and I’m leaving the tortoises with my grandparents. I’m a bit nervous about that as I’ve never left them before but I will make a care guide for them with all the vet details:eek:. Plus my friend who raised my youngsters lives across the road and he said he would pop in to check them over.
Good luck with the German exam Ben.
Hopefully your grandparents will take good care of your torts, I'm sure they'll be fine and you are only a phone call away.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

I hope Marge will be on her best behaviour for them!
As long as they don't leave them to wander around their garden where they could escape over under fences or through gaps they should be fine.

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Aw geez, Ellie May. . . that's too bad you have to share your special day with fathers. Maybe it's not quite as bad as having a birthday on December 25, but it's a close second.

But you're special here in the CDR, and far as I'm concerned, this is YOUR special day! Forget about all those darned dads.

Hahaha! That’s funny! About every 3 or 4 years, I share my birthday with dad. It’s always special because we are very close. Your right about the December birthdays being the worst though. Thanks for the sweet thoughts!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I've got the lazies today. Does anyone care if I pretend to be a Father and just sit around and take advantage of the special day? No football on TV, though. I hate TV sports!!! No beer either. I don't like the taste. I won't be smoking a pipe either. I don't smoke. But slippers? Yes! Bring me my slippers!!!

Sounds like a perfect day. I hope you got your slippers and recliner fix!