COLD DARK ROOM

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I'm just cycling my first aquarium. My water tests perfect just a little hard. BUT I wanted to understand the water first so I waited. Soon...
Aquarium rocks can really increase water hardness. Higher hardness can be good for crustaceans but not for most fish. It’s a delicate balance but you will get there:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Aquarium rocks can really increase water hardness. Higher hardness can be good for crustaceans but not for most fish. It’s a delicate balance but you will get there:)
It's our city water. I think I've found a way to balance it better. It can be a mix? of rain, bottled spring, and treated tap. And a test kit.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
It's our city water. I think I've found a way to balance it better. It can be a mix? of rain, bottled spring, and treated tap. And a test kit.
It’s a lot easier with fish as copper is toxic to crustaceans, would you believe that most generic aquarium chemicals have copper in them. Typical!!!:D

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
G’day all. Looks like we have a full house!

Just a gorgeous day here in Maryland. Yep, i got out on the water just after 7 for about four hours.... Very calm and peaceful. Even the migratory geese and swans and loons are gone. But, the Bald Eagles are all very present and the Osprey have returned from their winter vacation down in warmer areas.

And, some pix

View attachment 270565 View attachment 270566 View attachment 270567 View attachment 270568 View attachment 270569 View attachment 270570
So peaceful... No alligators lurking under the surface, either. :)

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
A couple weekends ago, my significant other brought home a betta fish. It's a male koi betta. It doesn't look like most bettas... In fact, it doesn't look that much like a betta to me, at all. It does look sort of like a miniature koi... It has some black and silver-white, and a tinge of orange. Its body is the placket type, so no long flowing tail. If I had made the choice, I would have chosen differently. It's interesting, though. This is my first fish ever.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
A couple weekends ago, my significant other brought home a betta fish. It's a male koi betta. It doesn't look like most bettas... In fact, it doesn't look that much like a betta to me, at all. It does look sort of like a miniature koi... It has some black and silver-white, and a tinge of orange. Its body is the placket type, so no long flowing tail. If I had made the choice, I would have chosen differently. It's interesting, though. This is my first fish ever.
I’m intrigued, may we see a picture if you have one?:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Most of the time they don’t say, I have to buy a copper test kit and most of them have copper in. You have to be very careful
Ok. My 40 year old son and I are going to have a blast testing waters and chemicals soon. We've been looking at that kind of stuff since he was 16 and being home schooled. I'm probably being ridiculous but...

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Our (recent acquisition) male koi betta fish is currently housed in a 2.5 gallon tank. We will be upgrading the housing before long. Ideally, we could move the betta into a somewhat larger (sturdy and well-secured) tank next to the mud turtles' tank. I get the feeling the fish might enjoy the mud turtles' antics as much as the cats do!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Our (recent acquisition) male koi betta fish is currently housed in a 2.5 gallon tank. We will be upgrading the housing before long. Ideally, we could move the betta into a somewhat larger (sturdy and well-secured) tank next to the mud turtles' tank. I get the feeling the fish might enjoy the mud turtles' antics as much as the cats do!
A fish next door might stimulate them from doldrums too. If it gets too chaotic put a pretty peace of card stock between the two.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Ok. My 40 year old son and I are going to have a blast testing waters and chemicals soon. We've been looking at that kind of stuff since he was 16 and being home schooled. I'm probably being ridiculous but...
What do you think about stress coat from petsmart? Called API.
thats should be ok, that’s made for fish.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good Tuesday Everyone.
Last night I got my box for the torts outside. Now I just need to get the insulation and a few other things and then the babies will be set for the cold days. I now put them outside for during the day and they come inside during the night. As night time is cold for the little ones. But hopefully the box will sort that all out.
Anyway have a good Tuesday and don't do anything I wouldn't. [emoji6]
How cold does it get? At night? It's just really interesting to me. Have fun with your new tortoise box. I must have missed your summary...