COLD DARK ROOM

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I'm off to meet up with some friends. We all used to work together, but some retired, and some took different jobs, but we were determined to stay in touch. The group calls themselves the Lunch Bunch. We meet once a month for lunch and sometimes add in other interesting activities. Today we are going have a guided tour of the Abita Beer Brewery which is in a nearby town. I have been told Abita Beer is sold all over the world, and it is all made at this little brewery in this quaint little town 6 miles from us. Of course it includes beer tasting as part of the tour- I'll let you know what I think! THEN after that, we'll have lunch. Should be a fun day! :)

I love Abita!! The Purple Haze is my favorite!! Have fun!!! Pics please!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The tour of the Abita Brewery was very interesting! Sorry, I did NOT take any photos. :(
The vats for the different stages of the process are huge and the cellar where they "hold" the beers at the final part of the process are truly massive: fully 2 storeys tall, and well over 35 of them. I was quite astonished at how CLEAN the entire place was: well nigh spotless throughput!!! :) They really focus on energy efficiency: they use specially ordered double-walled vessels for much of the process in order to hold in the heat and minimize use for burners, they have the biggest solar array in the state of Louisiana, they process their own waste waters from the brewing, etc. The water they use for the beer is from a natural artesian well right there in Abita Springs. (The little town of Abita Springs exists entirely because of the natural springs there which were frequented by locals in the 1800s to partake of the healing waters.)

Of course there was the tasting at the end! I much prefer wine over beer, so my opinions of the beer are not particularly relevant.
They also make soft drinks as well as both a "soft" and a "hard" root beer! I quite liked the "hard" root beer: it's very slightly less sweet than the soft root beer and has as much alcohol as the regular beers. That was the favorite of most of our crowd (and me!). They are experimenting with unusual soft drink flavors, and those drew mixed reviews: I really liked the Pecan Pie Soda, but didn't much care for the King Cake Soda, and thought the Bananas Foster Soda was unpleasantly weird.

Abita ships their beers to 12 countries (including England, Australia, Italy and Bangladesh!) They ship to 43 of our 50 states. ALL their products are made ONLY at that little brewery. So any Americans on the forum who want to support a 100% American business, please consider giving the Abita beers and soft drinks a try! Their beers include Abita Amber, Turbo Dog, Purple Haze, several IPAs, lagers and stouts.

And if any Forum members happen to visit our neck of the woods, I'll happily take you there for a tour and tasting! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The tour of the Abita Brewery was very interesting! Sorry, I did NOT take any photos. :(
The vats for the different stages of the process are huge and the cellar where they "hold" the beers at the final part of the process are truly massive: fully 2 storeys tall, and well over 35 of them. I was quite astonished at how CLEAN the entire place was: well nigh spotless throughput!!! :) They really focus on energy efficiency: they use specially ordered double-walled vessels for much of the process in order to hold in the heat and minimize use for burners, they have the biggest solar array in the state of Louisiana, they process their own waste waters from the brewing, etc. The water they use for the beer is from a natural artesian well right there in Abita Springs. (The little town of Abita Springs exists entirely because of the natural springs there which were frequented by locals in the 1800s to partake of the healing waters.)

Of course there was the tasting at the end! I much prefer wine over beer, so my opinions of the beer are not particularly relevant.
They also make soft drinks as well as both a "soft" and a "hard" root beer! I quite liked the "hard" root beer: it's very slightly less sweet than the soft root beer and has as much alcohol as the regular beers. That was the favorite of most of our crowd (and me!). They are experimenting with unusual soft drink flavors, and those drew mixed reviews: I really liked the Pecan Pie Soda, but didn't much care for the King Cake Soda, and thought the Bananas Foster Soda was unpleasantly weird.

Abita ships their beers to 12 countries (including England, Australia, Italy and Bangladesh!) They ship to 43 of our 50 states. ALL their products are made ONLY at that little brewery. So any Americans on the forum who want to support a 100% American business, please consider giving the Abita beers and soft drinks a try! Their beers include Abita Amber, Turbo Dog, Purple Haze, several IPAs, lagers and stouts.

And if any Forum members happen to visit our neck of the woods, I'll happily take you there for a tour and tasting! :)
One day, Bea, you never know!
What an interesting day and a beautifully written and informative article.
Now I want a beer, though I'm taking time off the booze so I won't .

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
(@ZEROPILOT) Yes you're right! There are differences. There is often different menu items based on the country. While we get a limited time BBQ type sandwich, other places will have a limited time Fish offering. Last time I was overseas McDonalds even offered a limited time "Doner" (super yummy greek type food). Food will taste slightly different, because there will be slightly different seasonings and particularly dressings used. Many restaurants in Europe will be heavier on Mustard vs Ketchup and there is no such thing as Ranch Dressing in most places. Food is even served a tiny bit differently. For example, growing up in Germany they would give you these tiny kind of finger forks for your fries because Germans were accustomed to eating big yummy fries called Pommes Frites where you would often use a fork. Now, because fast food has invaded everywhere Pommes as well as Chips in the UK are often more like lame fast food French fries. -They are so disappointing in most restaurants now!! Also, when you eat in the fast food restaurant vs drive through, most fast food places in Europe hand you your drink open without a lid and straw. Europeans are far less wasteful than us garbage factories.
Here we have McDonalds and Burger King with a menu much the same as in the European countries but with no pork products and our own McArabia burger, too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Anybody know what's happened to Lyn ?
She last posted Tuesday night/ Wednesday morning saying she had to be up to take her nephew to the dentist.
She peeked in on the forum Friday morning but didn't post.
She PMed or e-mailed anybody ?
Getting a bit worried.