Closed chamber questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
I'm sorry I ask so many questions but I'm really trying to do everything right! Okay so I'm in the process of making my closed chamber (I'm done just need to put it together) and I searched everything about drains and false bottoms but I didn't find anything helpful.

My question is does anyone have any information of false bottoms or a drain? I'm really trying to avoid mold or ruining my wood.

Also where do y'all find your hay? I have a baby leopard tortoise so I know they probably won't eat it but it's always good to try. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Thanks for the info in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look on a chameleon forum for drains or false bottoms. They use them a lot for chameleons. Also, if you live where you can buy fresh hay, get it there. Otherwise you can buy in from the pet stores.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Thanks! So your substrate doesn't go though that but water does?

And I have spent a lot of money of the building of the closed chamber already so how much did it cost you to make that false bottom?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
A little bit of dirt does but not much, the mesh is pretty fine, so it holds all but the tiniest pieces of dirt. I also cover the edges and overlap between panels, and its in their tight so dirt doesn't fall down the edges. Price wasn't much, I think the light diffusion panels are like 10 bucks each and the fiberglass mesh is like 10 a roll and the pipe insulation is a buck each.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Awesome thanks! My mom gives my the death stare every time I saw we need to change or add something. Silly her she thought tortoises would be cheaper! :)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Hah! The one in that thread has cost me at least 500 bucks so far lol, however I've totally gotten my money worth out of it. And that's the original cost plus the remodel, but it's not cheap either way.

And I have 2 more of those to make plus more for my Russians, it is quite the expensive hobby, especially when remodeling years come around haha. But I wouldn't have it any other way lol

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Haha well I'm still learning so I make a mistake buying something then someone corrects me and then I have to buy even more stuff! I have spent over 1000 dollars so far and I have only had my two Leos for about 3 months... I am so close so finishing my closed chamber but it doesn't even matter because I have to wait for the toxic smell from the paint to go away anyway!

Our enclosures actually look alike... I don't have the finished product but I have a drawing of it[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] ImageUploadedByTortForum1376113726.577359.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Lol it's a good design.

My next ones are gunna be square and stackable in order to save room in my house, I don't mind torts everywhere but my room mates said one room lol needless to say our dining room is now the tort room.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Haha well I'm in Texas so our houses are pretty huge. I have room for a million torts (I would if I could afford them)

Status
Not open for further replies.