Closed chamber molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
My closed chamber has been up and running for maybe a month now. The plywood is already molding. I have coconut fiber for the substrate. It is just the sides that are molding. Is there anything I can do to stop it without taking the enclosure apart?

Casseylane

5 Year Member
I have issues with mold also, but not with the wood. Their food molds very quickly and I worry it will be harmful to my torts. Also, the plexiglass is constantly fogging up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you seal the wood? It needs to be sealed or covered with plastic. Don't know your going to fix it without taking it apart. Maybe just scrub it clean with hot water? See what others might say. You could also try housing your tort in something else and put the enclosure out in the sun for a day. If you can get the sun right on the mold spot, it will kill out the mold. It might have to stay out longer then a day though. Not sure how long. I used to bleach corals that way when algae would grow on them. I'm sure it will work for mold too.

mikeh

5 Year Member
One solution is to take everything out, let the enclosure thoroughly dry, apply few coats of gloss outdoor spar urethane, let dry and air out for about a week before putting your tort or anything inside.
No more mold!

sent from mobile device using TFO app

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The primary reason that you are getting mold is because of lack of adequate air exchange within the enclosure. This same lack of air flow, under highly humid conditions encourages mold and mildew spores which are likely being breathed in by your tortoise too.
Stripping the contents out of, cleaning and dis-infecting the enclosure will solve the current problem. But unless better air exchange takes place once the set up is up and running again, the same problem is going to very likely re-occur.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
When I soak my tort, I open the lid and let it air out for that period of time. I would consider also sealing your wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.