Closed chamber coating

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
What is a good coating to use for inside a closed chamber? I was thinking deck waterproof sealer without stain but idk if it will harm the little guy later on.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The best solution is using an expanded PVC material or plexiglass and not wood. Plexiglass is too expensive. I think my next build will be out of expanded PVC.

If you are going with wood, the first thing that will help tremendously is to be sure you use a good exterior grade plywood. Totally different type of glue and will last much longer. As far as a coating - I have tried so many over the years!! The only one I will use now is Rustoleum Countertop Paint. I have had great resultsw with it and since it is food safe, I feel good about the safety. It is reasonably priced and much easier than a 2 part epoxy to work with. Good wood. A good primer. Then a few coats of the countertop paint. I have some enclosures now almost 3 years in use and absolutely no degradation to the coating at all.

Strawb

Dubai
I used moisture resistant MDF boards with pressed High Pressure Laminate then used non toxic paint sealer for all the areas i cut or jointed

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I just nail a piece of plastic dinning table cloth to the bottom as water proof . Cost me $1.5
Clear plastic Shower curtain also works . Cost around $10

Hai

Tucson az
The best solution is using an expanded PVC material or plexiglass and not wood. Plexiglass is too expensive. I think my next build will be out of expanded PVC.

If you are going with wood, the first thing that will help tremendously is to be sure you use a good exterior grade plywood. Totally different type of glue and will last much longer. As far as a coating - I have tried so many over the years!! The only one I will use now is Rustoleum Countertop Paint. I have had great resultsw with it and since it is food safe, I feel good about the safety. It is reasonably priced and much easier than a 2 part epoxy to work with. Good wood. A good primer. Then a few coats of the countertop paint. I have some enclosures now almost 3 years in use and absolutely no degradation to the coating at all.

I wanted to use expanded PVC but couldn't find it anywhere in town.
I end up using some rubber coating. It works pretty good except I have to put some thing on the corner walls BC he tryst to climb it and flip him self..

galapagosgirl1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I wanted to use expanded PVC but couldn't find it anywhere in town.
I end up using some rubber coating. It works pretty good except I have to put some thing on the corner walls BC he tryst to climb it and flip him self..

I purchased my expanded PVC at Home Depot.
Veranda 1/2 x 48 x 96 inch sheets of cellular white panel. Model HDSHSM124808. Price locally $67.48

Hope this is helpful!

Hai

Tucson az
I purchased my expanded PVC at Home Depot.
Veranda 1/2 x 48 x 96 inch sheets of cellular white panel. Model HDSHSM124808. Price locally $67.48

Hope this is helpful!

I went to home depot and they said they didn't carry it and I looked around. I'll have to check again. Thanks

galapagosgirl1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I went to home depot and they said they didn't carry it and I looked around. I'll have to check again. Thanks

There was a 3 month wait for purchasing an enclosure so a friend helped me make one. You can check out my page. I just pulled up the Home Depot website and there are currently 22 sheets in my local store.