clipping nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preart

5 Year Member
My Leopard has pretty sharp little nails, and I was wondering if it's customary to clip them at any point in time? He's still really young, so they'd be easy to clip. I ask because they're pretty sharp, and haven't punctured skin yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Usually you don't need to. Provide plenty of rocks in the enclosure for your tort to scramble over and they'll wear down naturally.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
I clipped my torts claws and filed them so that they wouldn't scratch us.

but realised that they don't climb as much as they did. Perhaps its a tool for climbing.. So we won't be cutting them again anytime soon. Unless it gets too long.. then we'll think about trimming it again. We have a hard surface and some rocks but it doesn't assist in wearing it out fast enough.

but when we were giving them a pedicure, they were really good torts and even helped with the filing of their nails by dragging their feet across the file bed. We think they liked doing that! they also stretched out their legs while we clipped their nails. It was a new and interesting experienced for all of us! hehe. We used cuticle trimmers to trim the nails as it was more accurate.

However I really feel it's not really necessary. In the future we will just file their claws so they won't poke each other's eyes out.

IF you would still intend to cut their claws, make sure you don't go too deep (the parts where it can be clipped is the transparent bits). It'll hurt them if you get to the dense white bits.. Might need a good pair of clippers and eyes!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
JoesMum said:
Usually you don't need to. Provide plenty of rocks in the enclosure for your tort to scramble over and they'll wear down naturally.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.