Climbing Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct
Didnt know they were such good at climbing up on things,especially their log hide. mine love to crawl up on top ,problem is I found one upside down legs flailing, so I raised the hide by adding boards on each side . I guess the reason Iam posting this is to inform maybe warn of some possible hazzards especially to new tort keepers.I would think this could include ramps and such , just a thought.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
My sulcata discovered that trick in about 20 seconds so I had to take the log away.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I let them climb. It is more mentally stimulating and physically stimulating than just a flat habitat. My little Greek dives head first off the front of her flower pot all the time, then walks around and does it again. She hardly ever flips and if she does she flips right back over.

In the wild they climb over rocks and sticks and logs and brush and down and up steep hills and all kinds of things. I feel it is important for them to learn how to right themselves.

The only true danger is if they flip under the heat light. That can be deadly.

Wanna see a climber? Figure this one out ;)

KristinasPictures3865.jpg

KristinasPictures3867.jpg

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
ct
Mine do seem to enjoy climbing but my light was close to where they flip I see your point on it being more stimulating I always check them,to make sure their alright or should I say right side up, they did seem like kings of the hill. I wasnt sure how long being up side down would hurt them afraid to take the chance, might just let them climb on their weekends if their good!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have also had some scary experiences with the half logs so I don't use them with my little guy. At one time I build ramps up to it because otherwise he'd just climb it and then get off balance getting down, but eventually I just removed it, as I don't like to take risks. I do allow him some safer climbing opportunities such as river rocks next to an enclosure wall (great to keep leg muscles strong as they get him a little off balance, but the wall is there to right himself) and building little hills with substrate. For a hatchling, I'd not allow them to climb anything...only vertical sided hides and such. Once they are a little older, I'd feel comfortable with some safer climbing opportunities, but it would depend on the tort's capabilities and personality.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
ct
Tort in the pot, thats a trip,great pic .I. cant wait to get them out for the summer

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Amazingly I've only seen Rocky "rubber side" up once, which is crazy with all the gymnastics she pulls. I really am deathly afraid of her doing that under the heat lamp.

HHISIII

5 Year Member
My little Red Foot (Rex) pulled that stunt a few times when I first got him and scared the crap out of me. It's amazing how well these little guys can climb.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've never seen Pio climb, but Solo is definitely a climber. Every day after she eats, she will go up to the top of her hide and just sit there for a few hours.

017-25.jpg

014-28.jpg

Jessadawn

5 Year Member
Kali loves hanging out on top of her log. We have a plant up there that she hides out in thinking she's invisible!! It does scare me that she might crawl off the end of it but she always stops at the last minute. She usually ends up sliding down the side on her tummy!! It's so cute!!!

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
My redfoot has climbed a few times, but generally she is really laid back. My Mum's Hermann is always climbing on top of his hide and throwing himself off the top. If he is hungry he will find the shortest route possible to get to the food bowl and if it involves throwing himself off something then he will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.