Climbing leopard

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi! I have a 1.5 y/o leopard tort, when he was small, he used to climb his log hut and would fall off. I wasn’t super worried about this because he was always able to flip himself over within minutes, and then resumed his activities ? Anyway, he stopped climbing but I can’t help but wonder if maybe he wants to but can’t. Are there any climbing type enclosure decorations/ huts that aren’t super expensive? I’m not sure if he would actually use it so I wouldn’t want to spend a ton of money. Thanks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My loves lurking in his Rubbermaid hide. It is a tote turned upside down. When my leopard outgrows this enclosure it will become my Russian's enclosure and I may build a fancier hide since the humidity will be way lower

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You could try making hills and valleys with his substrate, instead of it being flat. Also, if he has a plastic bin hide, you can bury it under substrate with a gentle slope up and down. That what I did here. It's hard to see in a picture, but see the slope on the right going up to the top of the buried bin, where Sulafat is resting. Then on the left it goes down.

20200627_141311.jpg

Michigan
You could try making hills and valleys with his substrate, instead of it being flat. Also, if he has a plastic bin hide, you can bury it under substrate with a gentle slope up and down. That what I did here. It's hard to see in a picture, but see the slope on the right going up to the top of the buried bin, where Sulafat is resting. Then on the left it goes down.

View attachment 312180
Good idea, thanks! Also, what plants are safe to put in a tortoise enclosure and how do you keep them alive?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Good idea, thanks! Also, what plants are safe to put in a tortoise enclosure and how do you keep them alive?

Well, in that pic it's spider plant in the center and pothos on the right. They look good because they had just been put in. :)

I find that they do best as far away from the heat sources as possible. And the bulb on the right is a grow light. It serves as ambient light, and helps the plants.

Prayer plant and Boston fern are supposed to do well, but I haven't tried them yet. African violets are safe, but I don't know how long they would last with the heat.

Michigan
Well, in that pic it's spider plant in the center and pothos on the right. They look good because they had just been put in. :)

I find that they do best as far away from the heat sources as possible. And the bulb on the right is a grow light. It serves as ambient light, and helps the plants.

Prayer plant and Boston fern are supposed to do well, but I haven't tried them yet. African violets are safe, but I don't know how long they would last with the heat.
I’ve also heard about Christmas cactus, is that safe?