Climbing and diving headfirst

SheLLife

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hey everyone! My 10 month Sri Lankan Star, "Aristurtle", has started climbing on top of his half log, surprisingly easily, and jumping headfirst. He lands on his back and I try to let him right himself but I don't give him much time. The second time, I tried putting barriers up but he's pretty strong. Im warm with gratitude that hes healthy and active but he has done it 4 times in 2 days. That I know of. I believe I have fixed it by moving it away from the wall but if anyone has any wisdom or input I'd be grateful. Is he just bored?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

Please post pics. And take care as it could be dangerous for a tort to flip of his/her back. Keep us updated and good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This seems to be a favorite pastime for baby tortoises. They sometimes continue to climb and dive off for several minutes at a time.

Pennsylvania
My little Sulcata was climbing her hide and falling off. The lights come on on a timer about 15 minutes before I wake up (if I go to sleep) and every morning the first thing I do is check the torts. Most days, Karsi was on her back trying to right herself from falling from the hide. I got some fake plants and put in that spot to discourage her from climbing it. So far, it has worked.

SheLLife

Kentucky
Thank you everybody for your replies and concerns! Back on August 31, I turned the half log so it was tree trunk like. Now it's a decoration more than a hide. No more problems. I swear I'm not a lax or unstudied tortie mommy. Just new. I figure at least one person got upset when I said he was allowed to jump 4 times. Lol. I hang out with them all day long bc they are between our kitchen and living room so very well supervised. I love them like crazy. Enough my hubby gets jealous n calls me obsessed. Again thank-you!