Climatically Confused Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knomraski

5 Year Member
I have a 5 month old Leopard. I finished his outdoor terrarium a few days ago and introduced him to it last night.

The terrarium is 6x12ft and is divided into 3 basic zones:

1. Den. It's hot and humid and (shaded in some areas). Coconut, cypress, peat, sphagnum, and play sand substrate. About 80% humidity (90% inside the den itself) and about 100 degrees in the daylight, 80 at night.
2. Log area. A few hiding/shaded places. Same substrate as above. 90 during the day, 75 at night. 75% humidity. This is where his food stone and wading dish are located. He also has a basking stone here.
3. Pebble/stone area. Some shade. All rocks. 80 (in shade) during day, 60% humidity.

I was almost certain he would avoid Zone 3, but that's where he spends 90% of his time.

He's eating well, has plenty of energy and seems to be adjusting well and relatively friendly and outgoing. So I'm not worried about his health, just his sanity. :)

After reading the plethora of information on this great forum, I decided to try to build the best possibly habitat for him and accommodate all of his possible climatic needs, but honestly, he seems to prefer the one that is the worst for him.

Any ideas? What can I do to make the other zones more appealing?

The habitat can be seen below. The dual CHEs are usually over the entrance to his den. A couple things have been shuffled around, but it basically looks as it does in the photo.

Thank you!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372810071.188535.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
Some tortoises, especially at night, need to be put in the den multiple times before they learn to go in there by themselves. Maybe he just likes soaking up the sun. I'm sure he will eventually go to the other areas when he gets hungry and goes to eat and drinks and wants shade. Don't worry about it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Double check your temps that they aren't too hot. What are you using for the temps? Those little puck like thermometers are not very accurate. If temps are right on, eliminate the colder, less humid end.

Knomraski

5 Year Member
Echo, he will leave the (relatively) cool, dry area to eat and drink, but usually returns immediately afterwards.

Wellington, I have one of those "puck" thermometers for quick temperature checks, but I also check zonal temperatures with an IR pointer which has always verified the temps the puck thermo reads. I'm reluctant to heed your advice about removing the mid-heat zone. That's the area he spends the second most time in. However, if you have a suggestion as to how to make either the hottest or medium heat zone more appealing, I'd certainly give it a try.

Anyway, thank you guys!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would wait before making any big changes. He'll need a few days to really settle in and figure out his surroundings.

Is the 100 degrees the surface temperature inside the den?

60% humidity isn't going to be bad for him as long as he is well hydrated, but I don't see a water dish in there for him. Maybe it's in the shadows?

Some tortoises are just odd, so continue to observe him for a few days and if he completely avoids the "better" areas, then you know something needs to change. I like your concept of offering him several different micro climates.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Like Neal said give him some time to adjust. My male likes to sit on the concrete patio in the sunshine, which is similar to the stone area because it is nice and hot. My other females prefer to sit in the grass or under bushes. They all have different preferences and your enclosure gives him a nice set of choices, so see how he does over the next wek or two.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Just takes time for the tortoise to figure it out, I wouldn't the weeds and stuff grow out

Knomraski

5 Year Member
Neal, the 100 degree temp in the den is the ambient/air temp. And he has two shallow water containers for soaking. They aren't in the photo, but I promise they're in there. :)

I'll try to relax. To be honest, what's making me paranoid are all the photos of mistreated torts I've seen on this forum. I've learned a lot.

Thank you everybody!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
100 degrees might be too warm for a hiding spot, even with that amount of humidity. I'd bring it down to about 90 if you can during the warmer part of the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are all sorts of reasons why a tortoise might choose to be in one area over another. Not just temps. Fear of something, or a perceived need for security will often override the less immediate concern of temperature.

Where are you? What size is your leopard?

I wouldn't want a five month old outside full time, but that's just my preference. I don't move them outside full time until they are 8-10".

Status
Not open for further replies.