humid enough?? hot enough??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherminator

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The humid South
I live in Coastal GA and it is hot and humid all summer. I am keeping my new leo Sherman outside in a Rubbermaid sweater tub all day. It is often 90 degrees with at least 60% humidity during the day and at night stays above 70. If it is gg to storm heavily I leave him inside with the heat lamp on. He has both sun and shade, a hide, grass etc. After reading all the humidity posts I started leaving the predominately shaded hide/ferned section covered to hold in more heat and humidity. But then Sherman switched his sleeping patterns. Now he often sleeps out in the sun instead of under his humid fern. He has never really gone in his hide. He is much happier now that he is outside. He has always been a picky eater but only eats new fresh grass, weeds he likes, dandelions and other things I grow and pick for him. He doesn't touch the mazuri at all. Is this okay? Humid enough? Hot enough? After reading everything on here you all have helped me so much but I am also paranoid I am going to screw him up and he can blame me to his therapist. Thank you!

Attachments

• 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 92

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure there is lots of shade. Also the humidity should be 80%. At least make sure it is correct for night time. If you haven't, please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raisng of a leopard. The sulcatas threads also apply to leopards.

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
sherminator said:
I live in Coastal GA and it is hot and humid all summer. I am keeping my new leo Sherman outside in a Rubbermaid sweater tub all day. It is often 90 degrees with at least 60% humidity during the day and at night stays above 70. If it is gg to storm heavily I leave him inside with the heat lamp on. He has both sun and shade, a hide, grass etc. After reading all the humidity posts I started leaving the predominately shaded hide/ferned section covered to hold in more heat and humidity. But then Sherman switched his sleeping patterns. Now he often sleeps out in the sun instead of under his humid fern. He has never really gone in his hide. He is much happier now that he is outside. He has always been a picky eater but only eats new fresh grass, weeds he likes, dandelions and other things I grow and pick for him. He doesn't touch the mazuri at all. Is this okay? Humid enough? Hot enough? After reading everything on here you all have helped me so much but I am also paranoid I am going to screw him up and he can blame me to his therapist. Thank you!

Here is the habitat. I have added more plants/weeds since then. Esp the ones he likes to eat.

Attachments

• sherm habitat.JPG
    sherm habitat.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 81

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wouldn't cover that tub if it's outside. It could heat up like an oven. That might be why he is no longer hiding in the fern since you covered that section.

Sent from my TFOapp

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
Thanks. I will make sure he is kept warm and humid at night as well. He is also soaked every morning for 20 min and misted several times a day. I often let him roam inside after his soak for exercise in a controlled area and I mist him or soak him again after that as well.

Thank you Heather- only about 6 inches was covered but he did seem happier when it wasn't covered

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I agree with above. The habitat is cool. Your little one is darling and you are funny. "Blame me to his therapist" gave me the giggles. Little baby Sherman, " ... and I am all lumpy cause my keeper ..." LOL!

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I agree with above. The habitat is cool. Your little one is darling and you are funny. "Blame me to his therapist" gave me the giggles. Little baby Sherman, " ... and I am all lumpy cause my keeper ..." LOL!

BeeBee- it is true!! I swear I have dreams about his therapy sessions! "And then my food goddess didn't give me enough calcium!" I have read and reread every post on here about leo tortoise care/set up. (I am also a lil bit of a control freak if you all haven't figured that out yet.) It is very humid here but I am originally from So Cal in the semi desert about an hour from you so everything feels humid to me! So I also mist him several times a day and soak him every morning as well, of course. That is why I moved him outside for the summer days.

Status
Not open for further replies.