Clifford Roaming The Backyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South East Texas
Those of you with larger Sulcattas. Do any of you let your tortoise roam the entire back yard? I'm thinking of letting Clifford do this. The yard is pretty secured and he won't be able to squeeze under the fence or get out anywhere. He's never been a digger, so I'm not worried about him digging out. I'm also in the process of pulling up all the wedelia plants and elephant ears. Everything else in the yard is edible. Most of you seen the enclosure I made for him. It's just every time it rains his enclosure turns into a big mud pit. Even after raising the dirt, adding new sod and adding drainage. I think it just might be easier, cheaper and less aggravating to just to let him roam the backyard. Any suggestions and ideas appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just make sure there is a visual barrier all the way around. No chain link or picket fence type stuff. And realize that in time you will likely be left with bare dirt back there...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i have property, so i have big pens out at the barn. if I didnt have dogs, id definately let them roam the yard. You just have to be prepared for some damage, and if you have a sliding glass door, they can ram it pretty hard if they think thier reflection is another tort...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I let mine roam the back yard and like Tom said about the yard becoming bare dirt is true. I really had to work hard to get grass and weeds growing to start growing again after the first free roam summer and now I do all I can to keep it. I still have a couple bare spot.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My three stay in the backyard most of the year. They will eat up your grass and any plants you may like too as well as make dirt roads around the perimeter, so don't let them roam unless you don't mind some destruction. On the plus side, it is always cool to look out and see them walking around. One of my smarter ones knows where the food comes from, so he'll come up to the back door and look for me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.