CL Rescue emergency in Inland Empire, CA.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Is anyone willing to help me "bail out" this tortoise?

A vet tech looked at him, said he's weak, nasal/ocular discharge and is in really bad shape. Owner says basically "he's fine".

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/4137455892.html

This is being discussed on two separate threads, so I'm converging them and trying to get help.

MAJOR POINTS NEEDING ASSISTANCE WITH:

-I am a vet tech, if I can get him to Portland, OR area, I will hospitalize him, and do everything necessary at basically cost.

-is it possible someone can report neglect? Can Animal Control confiscate him and turn him over to us...can use my rescue organization name.

-I'm trying to get a plane down to a local municipal airport to get him to me.

-can people donate money to help with bail (hoping to get him for $150-$200) and airplane fuel costs? I have a PayPal account we can use. It's verified. Or potentially donate directly to the airplane owner's fuel account at the McMinnville airport. May be $200 in AvGas. Even $5 helps. Please. If 20 people donate $5, that's $100.

-Can anyone help drive him to at least Southern Oregon?

If I can get him hospitalized, and get him healthy, he will be available for adoption, and I will work with people to ship anywhere in the US. I just want him out of there and hospitalized as he needs us badly!! I will document all care, expenses, and only ask for actually expenses plus shipping. I do not sell my rescues, I just want reimbursed and will I supply documentation.

Here is pic...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382364284.239800.jpg

Can someone go ASAP with $200 cash and pick him up? Even if you don't have the space, ANYWHERE is an improvement, and I will make triple sure he's outta there by the weekend, preferably sooner.

I posted on the pilot rescue assistance forum.

http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24951

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
That picture leaves me speechless. If I could pick him up I would! Like you said, if everyone gave a little it adds up. Are you able to set up a link to your Paypal so we can donate?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I can't figure out how to make a link, but my PayPal address is:

sandyj.mcarthur (at sign) gmail.com

I don't want web bots harvesting it.
If this falls thru, I will refund your money or put it towards more rescues. Your choice.

No donations yet, sounds like owner removed from CL add and is taking to a veterinarian after numerous calls about his health. Maybe we saved him after all???

If anyone knows how to follow up, please do. I'd still help him if the man is overwhelmed.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I have an airplane ride for him for half the journey from inland empire area.

Maybe this guy will turn him over to us.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
RuthJanice said:
Tried to view the post but it has been deleted. I am in the Inland Empire.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382392408.449173.jpg
Here's a screen shot from this morning. Can someone politely call and offer to buy him and I will get him up here for hospitalization. Make it sound like we are doing him a favor, that it's very sick, and needs IV fluids, antibiotics, etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Has he surrendered it yet? If he's had it for years he probably doesn't even realize that it is in such bad shape and may think that you are just trying to get him to come down on the price? I sure hope that he does some research and then REALIZES just how BAD the poor thing is doing!!! Keep us posted!!!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm trying!!
I've got a volunteer to buy him (of he will still sell), and an airplane ride to San Francisco,

ANYONE IN SAN FRANCISCO AREA ABLE TO PICK HIM UP AT SMALL AIRPORT FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND SOAK HIM OVERNIGHT???????????

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
we just need to find out a way to go see him. I will talk the owner in giving him over in person if possible. I live right here.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm very saddened by this. I hope he's ok, but I doubt it.
If anyone is willing and able to take him, please politely call and offer help, I think by now the owner must know he's in need of help.

I'd happily pay veterinary exam fee if he takes him in. I won't pay for treatment until I talk to a DVM.

I'm going to cancel the plane ride, as the volunteer needs it coordinated ASAP, and I just can't do that.

But I still want him treated, whether or not we can get him up here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it took years to get in that condition.. I don't see the nasal discharge...
He needs a new home.. but I don't see the dire emergency.. Id like to see him given to someone and not have someone pay the owner, to reward him for crappy care.. Or Id like to know more history.. has he had it all along? was it injured? MBD? Husbandry....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you're looking at a pic, you're not likely gonna see discharge. Regardless of discharge, it's very likely that this tort is experiencing MBD and it complications. He needs immediate care. Of this I have no doubts.

Sandy, has anyone been able to contact the owner? Is the tort still up for sale? The situation is fluid, so, I don't know what's needed. I'm willing to make a donation. Should I pm you?

Laura said:
He needs a new home.. but I don't see the dire emergency.. Id like to see him given to someone and not have someone pay the owner, to reward him for crappy care.. Or Id like to know more history.. has he had it all along? was it injured? MBD? Husbandry....

lightsout2184

5 Year Member
Laura said:

I think the emergency is the fact the tortoise isnt getting proper husbandry what so ever if this is the condition he is in. All it takes to know this is the fact the owner thinks the tortoise is perfectly fine and healthy. I search craigslist every 30 minutes in the southern california area for a very long time and have never seen one that looked this bad.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I don't recall whom (been a lot of awesome people inquiring and assisting) had a veterinary technician go look at him, and she reported that he had significant nasal discharge, was potentially lethargic,and needed immediate care.
That is when I jumped in.

It was reported that after many of us called, the owner finally seemed to realize there is a problem, and he said he would have a DVM reexamine him. The as was removed.
So, I had someone call around to a few local veterinary hospitals, no luck. And apparently the animal shelters in the area don't take sick animals.

I'm cancelling the airplane ride today.
Speaking of which, if people can closely coordinate times and places, I can have tortoises transported by volunteer pilots to/from almost anywhere. Just contact me or pilotsandpaws.com

Oops.... pilotsnpaws.org

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I tried to call the owner tonight to see if he still has it or his price has dropped, but no answer.

Steve

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Poor baby. I'm praying for his little soul [FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
No luck since then? I really hope the tort is okay... this is so depressing. I should have just gotten him. ='( I feel so awful now. I have this gut feeling the guy freaked out and dumped him on the side of the road somewhere... I know it sound horrible, but that's the kind of guy this person is supposedly.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Don't beat yourself up. You made a very very smart and educated decision not to get into an animal that could be way over your head. I respect you for that.

Hindsight is always 20/20

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Don't beat yourself up. You made a very very smart and educated decision not to get into an animal that could be way over your head. I respect you for that.

Hindsight is always 20/20

Well said [WHITE SMILING FACE]️