Cinder block Russian house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I had a wooden house with a shingled roof as my Russian hide/night box. As the weather is getting hotter the box has been, too. Plus, it wasn't shaded.
I set up a new hide made of cinder blocks and caps like TFO member Kameya suggested. I set it up against a block wall in the shade of a tree.
My question..does it have to be only dirt in the hide or can I keep hay in there? They love to nestle in the hay.
Also, this new location and new material should provide cooler daytime temperatures, correct?

I am not finished yet.. I still need to add something on top so it stays dry when rainy season comes again if I keep it this way.
I may just put the wooden lock box in the new shady location cuz I like that one better.

There are 2 pics of the cinderblock hide and one of the wood house. The wood house had shade in the morning but faced west and had all afternoon sun. The blocks now face north and is under a tree.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Oh and don't mind the flowers I'm growing sitting on the block hide ;)
Gazania, petunias and portulca coming up!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Attachments

• 1372128132255.jpg
    1372128132255.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 1372128150057.jpg
    1372128150057.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 1372128202342.jpg
    1372128202342.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 121

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think the issue with hay is that it molds if exposed to moisture. But perhaps if you change it out weekly?
What about aspen? My torts like burrowing in that, and it doesn't mold.
I also put coir in one outside enclosure and the torts like that too.

Looks great! Why not have two hides? Cuz in the winter the wood hide will catch the winter sun, which you will want that time of year?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well, I couldn't handle to cinder block look.. lol

I put the shingled roof house under the tree and it works perfect. I added a bunch of fresh top soil inside and they burrow down nicely. It's been keeping very cool in there during the day. They are happy.

I have a second shingled roof house just like this one but smaller that I will eventually (after its painted and has locks added) put on the other side of the pen so they will have the winter sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.