Christmas Tree Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
For those of you who have been waiting the Christmas tree bins are in at Fred Meyer now, I got Herman his and he loved cruseing all over it today. He gained four more inches along the length then he had in his 55 Gal tank. I have his Trex 100 watt set up on a light stand so it's a ways away from him. Its reading 94.5 in the hot spot, so hopefully he is a happy little guy. I like it a lot better then the tank it's easier to reach in and clean and mess around.

thay

5 Year Member
TortieGal said:
For those of you who have been waiting the Christmas tree bins are in at Fred Meyer now, I got Herman his and he loved cruseing all over it today. He gained four more inches along the length then he had in his 55 Gal tank. I have his Trex 100 watt set up on a light stand so it's a ways away from him. Its reading 94.5 in the hot spot, so hopefully he is a happy little guy. I like it a lot better then the tank it's easier to reach in and clean and mess around.

do you have a picture of one of these bins? I'm redoing blazers enclosure and might pick one of these up if they are big enough

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Mine is 51 inches long, 18 inches wide and 12 inches deep. I am getting some more when they come back into stores by me (walmart has them) look at my Enclosure thread for Nigel, my adult greek. I'm using a bin for him.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used mine for Pio for his first summer outside. Now I will be using it for my baby boxies this summer. It is so great. It even has little wheels on one side to pull it around.

056.jpg

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Here is Herman's, I am still adding plants. I love how well planted yours is Terryo, very nice. I can't find my tape messure right now but I think its 4 foot long a foot and a half wide, 12" tall. Herman seems to like all the room.

Attachments

• new mix 045.jpg
    new mix 045.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 140
  • new mix 041.jpg
    new mix 041.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 115
  • new mix 042.jpg
    new mix 042.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 112
  • new mix 043.jpg
    new mix 043.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 99
  • new mix 047.jpg
    new mix 047.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 101

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
TortieGal said:
Here is Herman's, I am still adding plants. I love how well planted yours is Terryo, very nice. I can't find my tape messure right now but I think its 4 foot long a foot and a half wide, 12" tall. Herman seems to like all the room.

What is that you're feeding him on? That's great for keeping their beak trimmed.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
spikethebest said:
omg i want one of those!!! where can i find one?

I just got mine at Fred Meyer in the Christmass area. Wal mart should get them in but I haven't seen them there yet. They only have them during Christmass time so don't wait long!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I have one of the smaller versions of the tree bins. Mine is only about 36 inches or so long. But that will definetly be what I upgrade to next year. I love all the plants in yours Terryo. That is my project in the next two weeks. Get some starters going for Marlin

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
terryo said:
TortieGal said:

What is that you're feeding him on? That's great for keeping their beak trimmed.

I'm feeding him on slate. I picked up several pieces at a pet store for my fish tank and ended up using them for Herman. I seen him try to take a bite of it before and I'm amazed how strong his jaws are. I'm sure glad he's nice and doesnt try to bite my finger!
I have them around his water hole two it helps to keep it clean plus it makes it easyier for him to get in and out.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It didn't look like slate...my slate is dark gray. You could try putting some frog moss around the water dish too. They don't drag as much substrate in with the moss. It's like short grass. I think your storage bin looks great too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice sized habitat. I like that bin a whole lot better than the under-the-bed storage bin. Only change I would make would be to get a bigger flower pot and break it in half lengthwise for a hide. Your little flower pot is too open.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That's the same bin Nigel's in! Anouk will get one when they come back, and I'm getting an extra one for Novalee when she gets bigger!

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I like the idea to break the pot in two, thanks! I've been wanting to make him a better hide. Hopefully I can get it to break right. Where can I get frog moss? I would love to add some.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Do they munch on that moss? Is it safe if they do?
Patsy

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have never seen any of mine try to eat it. It's made especially for frog vivariums and you can contact them at Carolina Pet suppy and ask them, but I'm sure it's OK.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
WALMART has all sorts of bins too. best prices unless you find a sale..

And instead of breaking the pot in half.. just bury it halfway.. it will stabilize it and still give same effect. Breaking can be tricky!

Status
Not open for further replies.