Chompin on some dandi's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
wellington said:
Very nice. The last pic. His nails look a bit too long.

Yep, I also recommend a trim. Otherwise, such cool pix. They look so happy out there! I wish my guys could be outside chomping dandis already. Unfortunately, we got hit with a spring storm and it looks and feels like January out there. Ugh. But you enjoy your lovely tortoise weather. :)

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
I really like your enclosure

'And like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Thanks all.

What is the best way to trim nails? The dog nail clippers I have are too big to grab one nail Bc the nails are too close together. Are there tortoise nail clippers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
shellfreak said:
Thanks all.

What is the best way to trim nails? The dog nail clippers I have are too big to grab one nail Bc the nails are too close together. Are there tortoise nail clippers?

I prefer a Dremmel tool with a sanding drum when the need arises.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I use a combination of a human toenail clipper, and a special reptile clipper from the pet store. Just hold the claws up to the light so you see where the blood vessel (quick) is, and then avoid the quick when you cut. You might not be able to get them as short as you want on a single day. The quick retreats after a trimming, so you can come back a few weeks later to keep trimming, if needed. But remember, Russian tortoises have naturally longer claws than other tortoises, because they dig more. The need to be shorter than in the above photo, but not as short as those of other species.

Status
Not open for further replies.