Chipped Beak

succbus

Location (City and/or State)
Kingsland Ga
I have a 8 year old red-footed tortoise, recently he chipped his beak. It looks as though the rest of the beak is pushed behind his mouth and is preventing him from closing it. He is still eating but I fear feeding him more will only make it worse.

IMG_1072[1].JPG IMG_1071[1].JPG IMG_1070[1].JPG

succbus

Kingsland Ga
Some more pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1074[1].JPG
    IMG_1074[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1075[1].JPG
    IMG_1075[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1073[1].JPG
    IMG_1073[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Quadro

SC
I have a 8 year old red-footed tortoise, recently he chipped his beak. It looks as though the rest of the beak is pushed behind his mouth and is preventing him from closing it. He is still eating but I fear feeding him more will only make it worse.
Oh no I’m sorry this happened to your baby do you know what caused him to chip it was it over grown ? Putting something hard down for them to eat on like slate or in my case I have paving stones planted throughout my enclosure that they eat on keeps them worn down . What kind of lighting are you using on him ? Be careful using the red lights it’s not good for them I learned that on here too they can see red which keeps them up they need day and night cycles . I couldn’t tell much in your pics but my phones being stupid tonight I’ll let the more experienced answer your question about his beak ! Btw welcome to the forum this is the place to gain knowledge and put it to use and get a great experience you and your shell baby hope he gets better keep us posted !

succbus

Kingsland Ga
Oh no I’m sorry this happened to your baby do you know what caused him to chip it was it over grown ? Putting something hard down for them to eat on like slate or in my case I have paving stones planted throughout my enclosure that they eat on keeps them worn down . What kind of lighting are you using on him ? Be careful using the red lights it’s not good for them I learned that on here too they can see red which keeps them up they need day and night cycles . I couldn’t tell much in your pics but my phones being stupid tonight I’ll let the more experienced answer your question about his beak ! Btw welcome to the forum this is the place to gain knowledge and put it to use and get a great experience you and your shell baby hope he gets better keep us posted !
I believe it was just overgrown but I'm not too sure. The only thing that I think could do damage was that I tried some new food combinations including celery. I use a zoo-med day and night combo for his cycles, also thank you for the welcome!

Quadro

SC
I believe it was just overgrown but I'm not too sure. The only thing that I think could do damage was that I tried some new food combinations including celery. I use a zoo-med day and night combo for his cycles, also thank you for the welcome!
Hmmm I don’t think the new foods would have done it but maybe if it was overgrown then yes it possibly could have caused it to break off and I pretty sure the zoo med day and night combo has the red bulb in it I would get the CHE instead if your running the red at night they can see the red so he’s not really sleeping but I’m going by just what I’m learning here maybe post pictures of your enclosure as well he’s a cute boy hopefully @Tom or @Yvonne G or @Blackdog1714 can give you more advice or the others .