Tony has damaged his "beak". Considering cuttlebone

Rich Computerguy

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ.
My six yr old Sully tortoise has a chipped "beak". Others have suggested cuttlebone for him to knaw on, and others have suggested that I somehow clip his beak with fingernail clippers! Tony likes me, but I really doubt that he'll let me trim his mouth! Is he ok, or should I take steps to fix this? Tony chipped beak.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as long as it doesn't interfere with his eating you can leave it & it will grow back. this can sometimes be an indication of not enough calcium I would offer the cuttlebone

AnimalLady

if he doesnt take to the cuttlebone (mine hates it) I get a knife and scrape it off onto his food, kinda like grated cheese for torts :)

Rich Computerguy

Mesa, AZ.
as long as it doesn't interfere with his eating you can leave it & it will grow back. this can sometimes be an indication of not enough calcium I would offer the cuttlebone
Thanx dmmj. I'll look into getting some cuttlebone and some calcium!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to allow him to bite his food and graze off plants growing on stems. Don't be cutting up his food for him. Make him work for it. This is what keeps the beak trimmed.

That little chip is not going to hurt anything. The parts on either side of the chip are now a bit more liable to chip off too. That would be a reason for trying to nip them off a bit with the nail clippers. When YOU clip, it comes off where you want it too. If you wait for nature to clip it, it's liable to break off higher than you want.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanx dmmj. I'll look into getting some cuttlebone and some calcium!
The cuttlebone is calcium so you can scrape it onto food as well as let him nibble it. Mine doesn't touch it for ages but will go for it occasionally.
He's a handsome chap even with a chipped beak!

Rich Computerguy

Mesa, AZ.
You need to allow him to bite his food and graze off plants growing on stems. Don't be cutting up his food for him. Make him work for it. This is what keeps the beak trimmed.

That little chip is not going to hurt anything. The parts on either side of the chip are now a bit more liable to chip off too. That would be a reason for trying to nip them off a bit with the nail clippers. When YOU clip, it comes off where you want it too. If you wait for nature to clip it, it's liable to break off higher than you want.
Thanx Yvonne! He lives in a yard of bermuda grass, so he grazes naturally. I'll get him some scuttlebone and hope that works. I'll also feed him his goodies on the pavement for grinding, because I'm SURE he won't let me clip his mouth! I'd be afraid to damage him anyway. Thanx for the suggestions! I like this site! I just joined it today!

Rich Computerguy

Mesa, AZ.
The cuttlebone is calcium so you can scrape it onto food as well as let him nibble it. Mine doesn't touch it for ages but will go for it occasionally.
He's a handsome chap even with a chipped beak!

I agree !!! (About the handsome part) I'll be getting him scuttlebone tomorrow! Thank you Lyn!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Cactus pads are a good way to prevent this sort of thing too. Or whole sections of pumpkin.

I would either clip that off, or have it clipped. I'm afraid that the cracked part will extend to areas where you don't want it too.

I just left Mesa earlier today. There are several good tortoise vets there that could help with this.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I too would be concerned about further damage. Maybe you can find a vet who would be comfortable trimming it. I don't know if he travels well, but if not a lot of places have mobile vets who can come to you.