Chinese big head turtle

PhongTrang

Hello everyone. Im keeping a chinese big head turtle. I did read some topic about it. But i think i need more information.
i always keep the water clear, and keep the cool degree water as long as i can. But i need more experience.
So anyone ever fed through, please share experiences.
Thank you.

IMG_0159.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Hortis

Location (City and/or State)
Shanghai
This specimen is more likely to be the Vietnamese subspecies & usually wild-captive , which is more fragile in comparison with the ones habituated in China mainland. Feeding it once every 2-3 days is recommend & it is better to keep the daily fluctuation in water temperature within no more than 3℃ so that they won't get their skin corroded. As far as the food resources are concerned, I often use insects without hard exoskeleton (such as silkworm as well as the larvae of moths and butterflies), living freshwater shrimp & crab, frozen fish, etc, with no red meet involved. Apart from that,boosterpumps with muted voice is recommend because I find pumps with larger shake noise is more likely to cause the skin corrosion of it. These tips are the ones that I find useful in keeping them healthy within my own experience, hopefully they can also be useful to you!