Cherubim McWigglesWorth The Third’s 4ft x 8ft Outside Enclosure!

Orcsloot

Location (City and/or State)
Corpus Christi, Texas
This was built awhile ago (1 week after I’ve had the fella) but here’s my buddies new outside enclosure! Coco coir as the substrate, and some orchid bark chips scattered about (I need to get more!) the three plants are horse herb, spider plant, and whatever that other is I forget.. I want to build one side like a hill because I read marginated tortoises love to climb up hills but here’s the start of cherubs outside enclosure!

Attachments

• IMG_5792.jpeg
    IMG_5792.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
The plants with green and red leaves are Coleus.

The enclosure looks pretty good. But you really should have at least a couple of places where he can go completely inside to hide from the sun (or perceived predators). It looks like you have one good spot with the log arch, but a second on the other end of the enclosure would be good so he doesn't have to run so far when he wants to go "inside".

Make extra sure the wire cover is really secure in that corner where the arch is, because that log arch makes for some prime climbing and you don't want to have any chance that he can get on top and push the wire mesh up and get out from there.

Also, 4' x 8' might be adequate for a few years for a young tortoise, but adult Marginated Tortoises can grow to as big as 14 inches (35 cm) long and 11 pounds (5 kg) and he will eventually need a LOT more space.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
The plants with green and red leaves are Coleus.

The enclosure looks pretty good. But you really should have at least a couple of places where he can go completely inside to hide from the sun (or perceived predators). It looks like you have one good spot with the log arch, but a second on the other end of the enclosure would be good so he doesn't have to run so far when he wants to go "inside".

Make extra sure the wire cover is really secure in that corner where the arch is, because that log arch makes for some prime climbing and you don't want to have any chance that he can get on top and push the wire mesh up and get out from there.

Also, 4' x 8' might be adequate for a few years for a young tortoise, but adult Marginated Tortoises can grow to as big as 14 inches (35 cm) long and 11 pounds (5 kg) and he will eventually need a LOT more space.
Thanks for the tips! I’m gonna double check log placement he/she is just a year old and typically doesn’t climb from what I’ve seen but I’m gonna lower it just to be safe.

I’m gonna be ordering another for the opposite hide asap and as for the size yeah it’s purely temporary just to get the little fella outside as much as possible I plan to dedicate a 20ft x 20ft eventually honestly bigger if I can.

Is there any other tips for like stuff I should or shouldn’t add in the outside enclosure I feel like it’s still so bare but I don’t wanna like pile tons of plants in there and overwhelm the fella or minimize walking room ya know?

Ideally I want to go for as close as his/her natural habitat which from what I’ve read would be hill type lands :)

Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would provide a lot more shade/hide area by covering half of the mesh top with a sheet of plywood or some large leaves.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
I would provide a lot more shade/hide area by covering half of the mesh top with a sheet of plywood or some large leaves.
I was trying to expose as much sunlight for that precious UV this fella loves to just hide all day what’s the reason to cover half of it? I have that big hide that provides lots of shade even have leaves over it. I’m genuinely curious as to your reasoning behind covering half though thanks for the comment!

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm not an expert on Marginated Tortoises so it's probably best to wait for someone who is more familiar with their specific needs. But for now I think it looks like a great start for a young one, especially if you add another hide.

As far as cluttering the place with plants, I again don't know about Marginated, but my Hermann's seems to be quite happy to be living in a thick overgrown jungle of plants that he can eat. It's not really "landscaped" to look pretty, but I mostly just wanted it to be a place where he can be happy. There are some completely open areas for direct sunlight if he wants it, and other areas where the plants are so thick that he makes tunnels by pushing some of them to the sides. It gives him shady places to hang out if he wants to, and a lot more edible things easily available for when he feels like a snack. It does make it difficult to find him sometimes, though...

This is a quick video of a small part of his enclosure from last summer that shows the thick vegetation, and you can see some of the places where he has worn down paths to walk through. You can ignore my exasperated "narration" talking about the silly tortoise trying to escape from his paradise. ;)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I was trying to expose as much sunlight for that precious UV this fella loves to just hide all day what’s the reason to cover half of it? I have that big hide that provides lots of shade even have leaves over it. I’m genuinely curious as to your reasoning behind covering half though thanks for the comment!

You might be ok now, but during simmer, the hide might get too hot.

This thread explains it.

Instead of a sheet of plywood directly over the top of the enclosure/resting on the sides, something several feet above would probably be better to allow airflow.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
I'm not an expert on Marginated Tortoises so it's probably best to wait for someone who is more familiar with their specific needs. But for now I think it looks like a great start for a young one, especially if you add another hide.

As far as cluttering the place with plants, I again don't know about Marginated, but my Hermann's seems to be quite happy to be living in a thick overgrown jungle of plants that he can eat. It's not really "landscaped" to look pretty, but I mostly just wanted it to be a place where he can be happy. There are some completely open areas for direct sunlight if he wants it, and other areas where the plants are so thick that he makes tunnels by pushing some of them to the sides. It gives him shady places to hang out if he wants to, and a lot more edible things easily available for when he feels like a snack. It does make it difficult to find him sometimes, though...

This is a quick video of a small part of his enclosure from last summer that shows the thick vegetation, and you can see some of the places where he has worn down paths to walk through. You can ignore my exasperated "narration" talking about the silly tortoise trying to escape from his paradise. ;)

lol to precious I’m gonna replicate this! Thanks for sharing :)

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas

This thread explains it.

Instead of a sheet of plywood directly over the top of the enclosure/resting on the sides, something several feet above would probably be better to allow airflow.
Ohhhh I get it okay I’ll be sure to get that built before this south Texas heat ramps up! Thanks so much for sharing that’s vital knowledge right there!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

This thread explains it.

Something like shade cloth or a large umbrella can work and look esthetically pleasing.
But the options are more limited in areas where you get high winds and summer thunderstorms.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It is worth blocking end to end vision with a rock, stick or log, add in some low rocks and hides and shade as suggested. Ensure you have a plan for the food and water location and use plant bases so they can walk in and out and sit o the food. Add some small stones around dishes to help ingress and egress. Ensure, anything high is not near the enclosure edge. Really nice that you have this arranged, as you will see the benefits and ensure you do regular low warm water soaks as that helps hydrate your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was trying to expose as much sunlight for that precious UV this fella loves to just hide all day...
All tortoises like to hide in the bushes and appreciate thick heavy undergrowth. Babies and younger tortoises NEED this. Adults can survive without it, but its good for them too. You do not need to worry about UV for a tortoise living outs in a sunny location. They will regulate this themselves unless the enclosure is 100% in the shade all day every day.

Your enclosure is great for a yearling, but this is one of the issues with this type of safe secure housing. The low ceiling makes it tough to provide enough plant cover and get good bushes growing. I like to clip mulberry, grape vines, hibiscus or lavatera branches to drop into enclosure like this for more cover, and replace them as needed as they wilt. I also lay a couple of palm fronds on top of the wire and affix them with zip ties so they can't be blown off by the wind.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
All tortoises like to hide in the bushes and appreciate thick heavy undergrowth. Babies and younger tortoises NEED this. Adults can survive without it, but its good for them too. You do not need to worry about UV for a tortoise living outs in a sunny location. They will regulate this themselves unless the enclosure is 100% in the shade all day every day.

Your enclosure is great for a yearling, but this is one of the issues with this type of safe secure housing. The low ceiling makes it tough to provide enough plant cover and get good bushes growing. I like to clip mulberry, grape vines, hibiscus or lavatera branches to drop into enclosure like this for more cover, and replace them as needed as they wilt. I also lay a couple of palm fronds on top of the wire and affix them with zip ties so they can't be blown off by the wind.
Thank you so much Tom I will implement this asap and try to increase the outside enclosure lid height!

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
This was built awhile ago (1 week after I’ve had the fella) but here’s my buddies new outside enclosure! Coco coir as the substrate, and some orchid bark chips scattered about (I need to get more!) the three plants are horse herb, spider plant, and whatever that other is I forget.. I want to build one side like a hill because I read marginated tortoises love to climb up hills but here’s the start of cherubs outside enclosure!
His name lol 😆 I love it. That's an awesome outdoor enclosure, lucky lil dude!