Cherryhead Tortoises and Vision Reptile cages

2CannuckTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi folks! We have 2 cherryhead Tortoises...1 is about 1.5yrs and the other 2.5 yrs old. We've been looking around at different available housing options besides going custom and came across the Vision cages. The one specifically we are considering is the v632 (6'x3'x18"h). Has anyone had any experience with these for adults as we're looking long term housing. I've seen another thread that mentioned great for young but wondered if anyone out there using it for older cherry tortoises too? My concerns are maintaining heat and humidity at what I've seen as the suggested 80/80 ratio. Currently we're housing them in a 36" wide octagon tank that I've custom a lid for and doing well at maintaining that with an intermittent humidifier and a couple of manual spray/mist downs daily. We also use a couple of 75w heat emitters and a t5uvb. We live in Southern Ontario Canada so general house Humidity would be a concern in some of the open top table suggestions I've seen. Any thoughts/feedback on Vision cages or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I also attached a couple pics of our Bella & Steve ? and their current home. As you can see they like to walkthrough their meals? Thanks folks!20210207_172910.jpg20210206_165521.jpg20210206_165420.jpg20210209_000353.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi folks! We have 2 cherryhead Tortoises...1 is about 1.5yrs and the other 2.5 yrs old. We've been looking around at different available housing options besides going custom and came across the Vision cages. The one specifically we are considering is the v632 (6'x3'x18"h). Has anyone had any experience with these for adults as we're looking long term housing. I've seen another thread that mentioned great for young but wondered if anyone out there using it for older cherry tortoises too? My concerns are maintaining heat and humidity at what I've seen as the suggested 80/80 ratio. Currently we're housing them in a 36" wide octagon tank that I've custom a lid for and doing well at maintaining that with an intermittent humidifier and a couple of manual spray/mist downs daily. We also use a couple of 75w heat emitters and a t5uvb. We live in Southern Ontario Canada so general house Humidity would be a concern in some of the open top table suggestions I've seen. Any thoughts/feedback on Vision cages or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I also attached a couple pics of our Bella & Steve ? and their current home. As you can see they like to walkthrough their meals? Thanks folks!View attachment 317749View attachment 317750View attachment 317751View attachment 317752
Those are very decent enclosures. But too small for even one adult. IMO.
I would'nt reccomend keeping two in anything that cramped.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We have a member here who builds gorgeous, "smart" enclosures. I don't know if he will ship to Canada, though. Just in case, do you have a friend on the USA side that could receive it for you? It comes flat and assembles easily.

What's great about it is that it's modular. You start with a unit, then if you want to expand, you get a second unit that attaches.

Anyway, send a PM to Markw84. He'll tell you all about it.

This is a post done in 2019 at a show, so disregard prices here. But it gives you an opportunity to see the cages, and Mark himself.