Cherry Head Tortoise outside enclosure

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hi I am purchasing a juvenile cherry head about 15 months and 4". I live in the PA in the colder northeast.Spring is coming and I have outside enclosures for my Russian tortoise and box turtles. I have never owned a tropical species and I am aware they need to be warm but was wondering what temperatures are they able to be in outside enclosures. Do I wait for the hot summers or can they come out in the spring with certain temperatures? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I am purchasing a juvenile cherry head about 15 months and 4". I live in the PA in the colder northeast.Spring is coming and I have outside enclosures for my Russian tortoise and box turtles. I have never owned a tropical species and I am aware they need to be warm but was wondering what temperatures are they able to be in outside enclosures. Do I wait for the hot summers or can they come out in the spring with certain temperatures? Thanks
Mid to high 70s and sunny should work. But also consider ground temps, and evaporative cooling like after a rain. There are several factors to consider in addition to the air temp. Its good to have an infrared temp gun to check the ground temps and the tortoise's carapace temp. You can also watch the tortoise's behavior. If he's out and active, then its probably good. If the tortoise goes and parks under a bush and goes to sleep, it might be too cool, and he'd be better off inside in its heated enclosure.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thank you!
Mid to high 70s and sunny should work. But also consider ground temps, and evaporative cooling like after a rain. There are several factors to consider in addition to the air temp. Its good to have an infrared temp gun to check the ground temps and the tortoise's carapace temp. You can also watch the tortoise's behavior. If he's out and active, then its probably good. If the tortoise goes and parks under a bush and goes to sleep, it might be too cool, and he'd be better off inside in its heated enclosure.