Cherry head swaying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
I feel like there is something wrong with my tortoise.... When he walks he will walk fine for a little bit and then sways right to left right to left (very noticeable swaying). Kinda makes him look like he's shaking his butt. His walking looks very choppy. Robotic almost. What is going on here? Should I be concerned?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Hard to say without a video. How olds your toetoises? Is it eating alright? Indoor outdoor? Does he seem weak?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
When they wiggle their butt when their walking, generally their tails ate wagging and they are having a bowel movement. Or at least trying.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hard to say....I have a refoot here that is a rump shaker....it is fricken hilarious....also, when I change out their water each day and add the warm water he will come over and place his front legs into the water and will begin the rump shaker---as well as when I place his food offerings into the enclosure and have added bug parts---he begins the rump shaking...and if I put my hand at the back of his shell---he will press back against my hand and rump shake against my hand, hell--I am not really ever going to know for sure why---but this human thinks he is just having moments of feel good when he decides to do his dance....

I would pay attention to when your tort has this behavior and how often and see if you are seeing a pattern vs an illness??

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ascott said:
Hard to say....I have a refoot here that is a rump shaker....it is fricken hilarious....also, when I change out their water each day and add the warm water he will come over and place his front legs into the water and will begin the rump shaker---as well as when I place his food offerings into the enclosure and have added bug parts---he begins the rump shaking...and if I put my hand at the back of his shell---he will press back against my hand and rump shake against my hand, hell--I am not really ever going to know for sure why---but this human thinks he is just having moments of feel good when he decides to do his dance....

I would pay attention to when your tort has this behavior and how often and see if you are seeing a pattern vs an illness??

I'd pay to see this!

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
He seems healthy! I suppose he's just being a weirdo lol! Ill try to get a video up too if I see it again!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If he's still eating, and he shows no signs of illness I would not worry to much.

moderndoubt

5 Year Member
Tampa, florida
My redfoot does alittle shaking around also. His head is all ways going up and down. He also pumps his but. Maybe that just their happy dance. Cuz my Raulf does it often its pretty cute. But my Sullies don't do that. Just little ol him.
Everyone's gotta video these guys doing their dancing. Would be perfectly awesome.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The video worked fine for me. It sure looks like he's rubbing his bottom against the ground/substrate...but he doesn't seem to be in distress. Dunno.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That was so cool! Nothing to worry about though, mine does that with her back end, shaking her hips side to side. One of these days I'm bound to get lucky and catch it on video :)

Status
Not open for further replies.