cherry head or read foot?

Big Ol Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
pflugerville Tx
I can't decide which to get. I want a cherry for the colors but they don't usually get to regular red foot size, but I'd like a red foot for the size (regular RFs still have really cool colors :) ) so my question is are there cherry heads that get big? Like people who breed big cherrys (is that even a thing lol) I really want a big cherry head so if you guys have a suggestion or anything please! Let me know
Mike-

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a female cherryhead pushing 13" SCL, and I know @cdmay has a beauty over 14" SCL. So they can get as big if not bigger than some northerns. As far as colors, it's a tough choice. They all have a vast variation of coloring. @allegraf has a yellow cherryhead.
And then there is @N2TORTS vast varying colored herds. Purple:eek:.

Last edited:

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Another option if you are looking for a large redfoot is a Bolivian redfoot. They are often quite colorful and generally speaking are larger than northerns and Brazilian cherryheads.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
cherry head. i have a "normal" redfoot (Guyana-Suriname) but ive alway's wanted a cherry so much more colorful

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I BELIEVE regular redfoots are more common in the pet trade so they may be easier to come across. If you like RFs for their size you can probably find a full-sized one up for adoption/rescue. Though only if you don't mind a rough shell, as most have in shelters and rehoming situations. :p

I heard cherry heads are more aggressive. I don't own one so I can't vouch for that. I don't know if that can lead to problems later if you want to start a herd. I want one too...You can get very vibrantly colored regular RFs from many great breeders, though. And sometimes they'll surprise you, dull-colored babies becoming more vibrant as they get older.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Another option if you are looking for a large redfoot is a Bolivian redfoot. They are often quite colorful and generally speaking are larger than northerns and Brazilian cherryheads.
this might be the one! Thank you for telling me. I didn't know there was such thing as a Bolivian Red foot.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
this might be the one! Thank you for telling me. I didn't know there was such thing as a Bolivian Red foot.

There are a number of threads on Bolivians/Gran Chaco redfoots. They are beautiful animals that get pretty large (the largest redfoot ever recorded was a Gran Chaco RF). They are not quite as readily available as the other varieties but there are a handful of breeders in the US that produce beautiful locale specific Bolivians.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Good luck finding a ( true ) Bolivian @Big Ol Tortoise - and remember it takes upwards of 20 years.. or more.. for it to get to be 16"-18" SCL

Aggressive? .. like mean toward others?.. or just the ALPHA one [ can be male or female ] ?

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Good luck finding a ( true ) Bolivian @Big Ol Tortoise - and remember it takes upwards of 20 years.. or more.. for it to get to be 16"-18" SCL

Aggressive? .. like mean toward others?.. or just the ALPHA one [ can be male or female ] ?
yes... that is quite a bummer that theirs not many true Bolivians. But hopefully I will find a breeder that has true blood. Or maybe in the future they'll become more relevant.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
There are a number of threads on Bolivians/Gran Chaco redfoots. They are beautiful animals that get pretty large (the largest redfoot ever recorded was a Gran Chaco RF). They are not quite as readily available as the other varieties but there are a handful of breeders in the US that produce beautiful locale specific Bolivians.

Unfortunately the Bolivian pair I picked from a group of over 500 back in the early 80s only lived about two weeks--they never ate a thing and just sat there. So I got bummed out on them, especially since they were so expensive at $40.00 each. But there were a lot of animals from that group that did just fine and are randomly scattered around in collections even now.
The breeders I know of in Florida are Doug Beard, Chris McQuade, Rob MacInnis and hopefully soon Allegra. I'm sure there are others as well but most breeders don't visit sites like this one and prefer to keep a low profile.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
$40.00=expensive :D:D:D. That's a ridiculous price.
Potty they died, I would have been devastated. Never seen a Bolivian in the UK.

Like a foul I passed up on a breeding group of northerns that were obviously wild caught and all pushing 16" about a yr ago that came up for sale over here(£1200). The male was probably the best I've seen, perfect and a stunning hourglass figure. Wish I could find pics but can't. Point is why did we get northerns, Brazilians and yellowsfoots over here but never Bolivians, I'm sure I've even seen the odd Chaco in the UK.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I can't decide which to get. I want a cherry for the colors but they don't usually get to regular red foot size, but I'd like a red foot for the size (regular RFs still have really cool colors :) ) so my question is are there cherry heads that get big? Like people who breed big cherrys (is that even a thing lol) I really want a big cherry head so if you guys have a suggestion or anything please! Let me know
Mike-

Personally I think the Suriname and especially Guyana red foots are the best choice overall. They typically have the cool shaped carapace and many are simply jaw dropping with color. Plus, they are probably the least expensive of the available races.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Personally I think the Suriname and especially Guyana red foots are the best choice overall. They typically have the cool shaped carapace and many are simply jaw dropping with color. Plus, they are probably the least expensive of the available races.

I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find a cooler looking tortoise than this big Suriname male of Eric Holt's.
DSCN0562_zps798230e7.jpg

DSCN0575_zpsaf20a52e.jpg

DSCN0556_zpscca2ff54.jpg

DSCN0557_zps3d3774b9.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find a cooler looking tortoise than this big Suriname male of Eric Holt's.
DSCN0562_zps798230e7.jpg

DSCN0575_zpsaf20a52e.jpg

DSCN0556_zpscca2ff54.jpg

DSCN0557_zps3d3774b9.jpg
Now that's a redfoot, He's amazing. Look at the carapace shape. The plastron looks stunning. Don't suppose you know his size, looks huge.