cherry head or read foot?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm not very fond of the peanut shape. I think it looks funny. My smaller male is starting to get a bit of a waist, we'll see what happens.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I find it strange that some localities constrict and some don't.
Do the Brazilians get concave plastrons as deep as the Suriname? I was wondering if the depth of concavity pulls the waist in as they grow.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Unfortunately the Bolivian pair I picked from a group of over 500 back in the early 80s only lived about two weeks--they never ate a thing and just sat there. So I got bummed out on them, especially since they were so expensive at $40.00 each. But there were a lot of animals from that group that did just fine and are randomly scattered around in collections even now.
The breeders I know of in Florida are Doug Beard, Chris McQuade, Rob MacInnis and hopefully soon Allegra. I'm sure there are others as well but most breeders don't visit sites like this one and prefer to keep a low profile.

Chris mentioned 3-4 others Carl when I spoke with him on Friday too.

What's puzzling to me is if there were 10 others who got say 400 of those and only half of them survived.. among the 20 EACH.. among all those that bred them ---- where have all these hatchlings gone over the past 30+ years??? Not to mention at least 3-4 generations that produced since.. also. I guess I've answered my own question... [ just backspaced out of what I just typed - I'll leave it alone.} ]

@cdmay .. go see some of those guys Carl and send me a nice young male to go with my young female.. after all at my age I doubt I have time to raise them up...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I find it strange that some localities constrict and some don't.
Do the Brazilians get concave plastrons as deep as the Suriname? I was wondering if the depth of concavity pulls the waist in as they grow.

Absolutely @Anyfoot ... depth of plastron vs waist configuration ? Only GOD knows the answer to that one Craig...

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Chris mentioned 3-4 others Carl when I spoke with him on Friday too.

What's puzzling to me is if there were 10 others who got say 400 of those and only half of them survived.. among the 20 EACH.. among all those that bred them ---- where have all these hatchlings gone over the past 30+ years??? Not to mention at least 3-4 generations that produced since.. also.

That's the $64,000.00 question. I tend to think that many are scattered around in random collections, or as pets, or in rescue centers.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
That's the $64,000.00 question. I tend to think that many are scattered around in random collections, or as pets, or in rescue centers.

There sure haven't been many made available until very recently.....

Again... one of the other breeders is making a few of them available.. a few young females [ I think I know where one of them went ]. He reportedly has several 'Northerns' but never allows them to [ locale ] / cross-breed.. reportedly! However I'm wondering about a couple of the 2014/2015 hatched that I have.. based on the plastron markings @cdmay

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Unfortunately the Bolivian pair I picked from a group of over 500 back in the early 80s only lived about two weeks--they never ate a thing and just sat there. So I got bummed out on them, especially since they were so expensive at $40.00 each. But there were a lot of animals from that group that did just fine and are randomly scattered around in collections even now.
The breeders I know of in Florida are Doug Beard, Chris McQuade, Rob MacInnis and hopefully soon Allegra. I'm sure there are others as well but most breeders don't visit sites like this one and prefer to keep a low profile.

Yeah that sure is a helpless feeling :( $40.00 stretched a lot farther back then than now for sure.