Cherry head hatchlings with "smushed" shell from hatchmates

xirxes

I've been told that this reforms to full roundness in short order, and I want to make sure that this is true, and that the shell will not retain this shape full life thanks!
da2da3204d9a5261cd6f4765fd4c2d87.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
It appears that your hatchling was quite crowded from the way he was positioned within his own egg as he developed, so his shell bowed in at the top to make room for him to grow. I really don't think this depression was caused by the other babies in the clutch.

That being said, I have seen this type of thing quite a bit in Spider Tortoises and Radiated Tortoises. It will go away with time, but I would not say "in short order". It usually takes about 9-12 months for them to grow enough so it is not noticeable any longer. Maybe it will happen faster with a Redfoot, but I am not so sure of that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I had one exactly the same, at 7 months old it's barely noticeable.
Mine are kept humid, they are soaked and there is no heat source that dries out the Carapace. What I'm saying is if your guy sits under a basking light it may dry it out and the dint may not grow out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
He is just adorable, he will be OK and get better with time and the right conditions!