Chemical free flea remedy - it works so good....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
We have been battling fleas all summer, just awful. I have 7 cats, they do not go outside but the dog does. She is on Comfortis, which works good for her, but the fleas still manage to get in the house. I have a couple of cats I can bathe, but the rest of them, no thanks, I would like to keep my face.

In fact, my Honey, who is the sweetest, darlingest, just most precious kitty in the whole wide world turns into a screaming, biting monster at the sight of the kitchen sink. As soon as I wrap her in a towel, she starts to purr. Jekyll and Hyde.

I hate hate hate putting chemicals on my cats. They lick, so they ingest so much of it. Honey and Mo (my fetch kitty) are both allergic and have terrible reactions (not fun having to rush a foaming-at-the-mouth cat to the vet.)

So... I started doing a bunch of research on flea treatment and prevention that relies on a more natural approach. First I began adding apple cider vinegar to their drinking water (I used to do this for my horses in the summer time as well, helps keep the flies and mosquitoes away.) Second I started roasting garlic and feeding it to them once a week. These are good preventatives but I needed to KILL the suckers already on them. I flea comb them also but it is pretty time consuming to flea comb 7 cats.

I found a bunch of different websites that had different suggestions on what to apply to the skin and hair. I took the inspiration and made up my own recipe. I can't BELIEVE how good it works! The first time I used it on Honey, the way the fleas just dropped dead and fell off shocked me. It makes her smell awesome, makes her fur so soft and best of all - no foaming. AND no bite marks on me, either ;)

So, here is what I do -

You need a 16 oz. glass jar. Spaghetti jars work very well. Take two whole unpeeled lemons, slice them very thinly and place them in the jar. Then, take a good sized bunch of fresh rosemary and add to the jar. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of chopped raw garlic, and about two teaspoons of whole cloves. (*optional - add 5 drops of pure neem seed oil.) Bring some water to a boil and pour it immediately into the jar, over the ingredients. Allow it to steep for 6-8 hours. You can then pour the liquid off, boil more water, and steep it a second time. (I'm not sure if it can be reused a third, haven't gotten that far yet lol.)

I went to the dollar store and got a spray bottle. I can use it as a spray, or soak a cotton ball and apply it directly to the skin, which makes it awesome for carefully using around the face. (TIP- whenever you treat for fleas, treat the area around the neck and the throat first, creating a barrier between the body and the head. Keeps the fleas from fleeing (LOL) to high ground.) The fleas just drop dead. It is amazing.

Also smells like it would be REALLY good on chicken....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm if it works, sounds like it would be much cheaper then the hundreds of dollars I spend each month for those flea tube things. Question you said it kills them, but how long? Then how long is it lasting?

:D at your cats running from going near the sink. I can clear a room in less then a second by either picking up the flea spray bottle or one of those foiled back packages the flea tubes come in :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I just flat out can't afford the spot treatments, on top of the fact that it will make Honey and Mo sick even if I put it on the back of their heads and not their shoulders. Even if they don't lick it they have a reaction. I used to use the Frontline spray, but you can't get it anymore and I ran out.

I doubt that the killing effects will last long. It will probably have to be reapplied weekly. I still use pesticide on the carpet (I use the Adam's carpet powder) so that helps break the breeding cycle. But for me, it just makes me feel so much better that I can do this without chemicals and still give them relief from the fleas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for that. I think its ridiculous the amount they charge for Frontline and Advantage.

My indoor cat, Molly, is so cute. She will come and meow at me and make a general nuisance of herself until the light bulb goes on over my head and I say, "Do you have a flea?" She then runs to the bathroom doorway and looks back at me. So I go and put her up on the vanity counter and use the flea comb on her. She really loves it. And even though I don't have fleas in the house, I'll usually find one or two on her when she lets me know about it.

I DO use Advantage on the outside cats. Nice to now have a cheaper solution.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It really stinks having fleas, let me tell you. It makes you feel dirty, for one thing. We lived in the country for years and had all kinds of animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, chicks, and my pony, Pumpkin, lol) going in and out of the house and never ever ever once did we have a flea problem. (Yes I really did let the pony come in the house, he was always a gentleman ;) ) We move to town and get bombarded. It is so ridiculous.

About two months back all of a sudden my dog's hair started falling out. She contracted mange. She is 7 years old and has never had a health issue, ever. She doesn't run loose, period, and had not been to the beach or dog park or around any dogs yet this year. How the heck does a dog just get mange out of no where?

Usually they use permethrin to treat the mite that causes mange, which I always have on hand in case I get a reptile that has mites dropped off (has happened before.) I didn't want to use it on her, the way she was chewing at herself I was afraid she would get sick from the residue. That and research said that it often does not work. I did some research and bought the neem seed oil, and I kid you not she had new hair growing in a week. It knocked the mange right the heck out. I also started using it to spray my rose bushes, it is non-toxic and there has never been a case of it causing problems due to being ingested, and it wiped out the rose bugs too. AND I can still feed the roses to my tortoises. Really getting into this natural remedy stuff, lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I've heard good things about neem oil. Where do you buy it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Similar to your recipe, adding a few drops of essential oil (peppermint, etc.) to their shampoo and bathing regularly usually helps. Diatomaceous earth can be sprinkled on the carpet, left for a while then vacuumed up.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
We have a natural food store here in town, I purchased the bottle for $11.95. I add one dropper-full to a spray bottle of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to help emulsify it, shake it up and spray. I also found this site - http://www.organeem.com/

Diatomaceous earth has actually been shown to cause lung irritation. Because pets are right at floor level, they inhale more of it than you realize and it can cause major health issues. I won't risk it.

Essential oils do work, specifically lavender and eucalyptus, BUT, as I said above, bathing 7 cats on a weekly basis is nigh on impossible. You can come do it if you want :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
When I lived in central Texas, we used to deal with flea infestations every summer and you would hate to walk outside because they would jump on you. We had pest control coming out every month to try and control it. I used to hate that feeling of something crawling on you when you walked around in the yard....

Hope you get it taken care of, sucks for the animals that have to deal with it...

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Diatomaceous earth has to be food grade. Otherwise it has little razor sharp particles that can kill. Neem seed oil sounds interesting. Wonder if it works on Pot bellied pigs. Using Ivermec right now. Sounds like something we could try.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Better safe than sorry, though I should've been more clear - I would vacuum before letting them back on the carpet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Andrea, I would try the neem oil, for two reasons. For one, pigs often have issues with dry skin. This stuff REALLY helps with the skin and hair. Also, I don't see how it could hurt at all.

What you would want to do is get a carrier oil, like grapeseed oil, and mix the neem with it and massage it in.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Kristina said:
Andrea, I would try the neem oil, for two reasons. For one, pigs often have issues with dry skin. This stuff REALLY helps with the skin and hair. Also, I don't see how it could hurt at all.

What you would want to do is get a carrier oil, like grapeseed oil, and mix the neem with it and massage it in.

Thanks Kristina! After Irene is done visiting I will have to get these oils for him.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Hm.. this is good to know. When I went out of town for a bit and had someone look after my cats.. they came back with fleas and I freaked out ! I don't like bugs at all. So I applied this revolution stuff for them... since it treats fleas, worms and ear mites and cost less than the frontline junk. But nice to know there is a cheaper solution... and an alternative to bathing them ;)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Kristina~Have you tried baking soda on your carpet instead of the pestiside? I have not had fleas so I don't know if it works but my mom used to use it to kill fleas in the carpet. I love baking soda and use it on just about everything.

I have never heard of neem oil. Where do you get it? I will probably need this recipe some day. I have everything else, but the neem oil.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I bought the neem oil at a local natural food store. You can also find it online, google it. You want the neem SEED or NUT oil, not the neem leaf extract (not as strong.)

So, I made a third infusion out of the original ingredients, seems to have good strength. I am definitely seeing a relief from the fleas, my cats are more relaxed and not as itchy. I'll update with how well the third infusion works.

I have heard of mixing baking soda and salt for the carpet, it dehydrates the adults and kills them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I bought everything to try it, but the neem. Going to have to go into a bigger city and see if I can find it. Then it's going to be tested on lots of dogs and cats. Just wish it was powder...easier to sneak up on wild cats and pour out a little powder. :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, yeah, I don't doubt you there :p I have a couple that will absolutely not tolerate being sprayed, so I just soak a cotton ball and rub it on them that way. I was a bit worried that it might sting the skin, but no one has acted in any way like it was uncomfortable.

It will work without the neem, but I like how silky it makes their coats ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have one older dog with skin issues, so wanted it for her.

I even bought a rosemary plant to have for making it. (good excuse, huh). I just love love the smell of rosemary. I need to go back and get one for my son. Toby cooks turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas using rosemary and it is just out of this world. Lucky for me, my plant was on clearance. Of course if they had marked it that way, I would have gotten two at that time. Darn need to go back and get another one, before they are all gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.