Checking in for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bambammiles

5 Year Member
It is great to be on this site. Looking forward to learning and hopefully developing a better understanding on keeping and raising tortoises as a long lasting family member. Until last week I had one sulcata. Things changed when passing the local park there was two 8-9 sulcata a sitting by a power box. It was clear they had been left there by someone expecting them to be found and taken in. Like usual like when I was a kid I brought them home.
Abandoned or not they will be taken care of.
Would like to reach out to others in the San Diego area if they are interested in setting up sections of their yards for tortoises. Looking to share ideas and help do some yard renevation for the benefit of our slow paced friends.
Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing and reading from y'all.
Thanks
Miles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Miles!

This just makes me sick. What if no one had taken them in. Thank goodness a tortoise person found them. Can you imagine what would have happened to them if someone who knows nothing about tortoises and didn't care to learn about them found them?

What size are they? Can we see pictures?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) So glad you are one of the good ones with a caring heart. Would also live to see pics of them:)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Welcome :) Jeez, I am glad that you have them! Post pics when you can!!

Bambammiles

5 Year Member
They were in a box they were by one of those metal green power boxes.
They are both between 8 & 9 inches or so. Healthy eaters for sure.
Minor peiramiding. One appears to have a slight eye infection. Not to concerned about it yet. It's only been a few days. Keeping them in the garage for a few until they are adjusted and deemed healthy enough to go out in the tortoise pen.
I know they don't belong in tanks but want to keep them a bit contained and heat regulated consistantly for at least three weeks, I think.
The eye problem, rinsing regularly min of once a day & giving two Luke warm 20 minute soaks a day to help flush them out a bit.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Thank you for helping these tortoises. They are lucky you found them and know what to do.
If you need assistance, I believe the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society will help you. You can check them out on kine.
They are a great organization.
Good luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you sure it's warm enough for a small tort like that to be outside? I am glad they are eating well as sometimes they get stressed out and stop eating. Thanks for picking them up...I wonder why that never happens to me???

Bambammiles

5 Year Member
The outside pen has heated tunnel hides and a heated dog house. When I make the transition in a few weeks they should be good but I will monitor them and bring them in and out night and day for about a month.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I have never found anything in a box, except for the snake that surprised me when I picked up the box out in the garage of a house my daughter had rented. :rolleyes: Finding a tortoise would have been much better on my poor heart. :D Good save!

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
That's great you found em don't wanna think bout how long they had been left to the unkown...........I wish I could be lucky enough to stumble accross a box with such great treasures inside........

Status
Not open for further replies.