Check this out

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I found this at a feed store today. I'm thinking about getting one of these to upgrade the indoor (garage) enclosure for my russian, Gary. He's outside all spring and summer but indoors for the winter and his winter tank is too small.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383338007.297693.jpg
I think I would add casters on the bottom to get it off the ground/floor and then it's mobile too! What do you think??

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, there are others that uses those. It does make a great enclosure. Go for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Better than a smaller tank, but I still like bigger. Its really easy to stand up some 2x12s around the edges of a 4x8' sheet of plywood.

The casters are a great idea!

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I really like the look of the galvanized metal. They had some bigger ones but they get pretty pricey. The one I was looking at was $137. I will keep an eye on them and hope they go on sale at some point! Tom, I cannot convince my hubby on 4x8. If I had my way the entire garage or spare bedroom would be a tort mansion! I'm already taking over the backyard and trying to turn it into Tortland :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
TortLand! I love it! I call our land Tiffanys Reptilian Farm.. we have lizards too ;)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I use one of for my torts. It works awesome! I have plexiglass on top of it so it's a closed enclosure and it works great to keep in the humidity. I have mine mounted on milk crates so it's off the floor

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
tffnytorts said:
TortLand! I love it! I call our land Tiffanys Reptilian Farm.. we have lizards too ;)

Haha that's cute Tiffany!! We refer to our home as a farm too. 1 big dog, 2 cats and a tort. Doesn't seem like a lot but a small house and the furry animals always seem to be where ever we are! It feels like they are everywhere. In fact there's one laying on me right now!

AZtortMom said:
I use one of for my torts. It works awesome! I have plexiglass on top of it so it's a closed enclosure and it works great to keep in the humidity. I have mine mounted on milk crates so it's off the floor

Good idea with the plexiglass! I would love to see pictures of yours!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Aww! I have a gigantic bunny (I'm talking 20lbs) and we had to rehome our dogs :-/. That's when we got a whole mess of russians =D We moved and the new house wasn't dog friendly. (VERY tort friendly though) :D

Okay. Nvm. New bunny is only 10lbs :p other bunny was bigger

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
LisaTurtle said:
tffnytorts said:

Haha that's cute Tiffany!! We refer to our home as a farm too. 1 big dog, 2 cats and a tort. Doesn't seem like a lot but a small house and the furry animals always seem to be where ever we are! It feels like they are everywhere. In fact there's one laying on me right now!

AZtortMom said:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383358596.674737.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383358721.371067.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1383358804.770293.jpg it's not really fancy. I have two CHEs. One each end and 2 long florescent above the trough. Their substrate is the coco. They have their own room, so I run a humdifer and soak the substrate. Humidity is always above 80%.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
tffnytorts said:
Aww! I have a gigantic bunny (I'm talking 20lbs) and we had to rehome our dogs :-/. That's when we got a whole mess of russians =D We moved and the new house wasn't dog friendly. (VERY tort friendly though) :D

Big bunnies!! Bunnies are so cute and seem like sweet animals. Sorry you had to rehome your pups. That is tough :(

AZtortMom said:
LisaTurtle said:
tffnytorts said:

AZtortMom said:

it's not really fancy. I have two CHEs. One each end and 2 long florescent above the trough. Their substrate is the coco. They have their own room, so I run a humdifer and soak the substrate. Humidity is always above 80%.

Thanks! What kind of torts are in there?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
LisaTurtle said:
tffnytorts said:

Big bunnies!! Bunnies are so cute and seem like sweet animals. Sorry you had to rehome your pups. That is tough :(

AZtortMom said:
LisaTurtle said:
tffnytorts said:

AZtortMom said:

it's not really fancy. I have two CHEs. One each end and 2 long florescent above the trough. Their substrate is the coco. They have their own room, so I run a humdifer and soak the substrate. Humidity is always above 80%.

Thanks! What kind of torts are in there?

Sullies [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]ImageUploadedByTortForum1383360023.940302.jpg

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Aww very cute!! I thought so! A lot more humid than I need for an adult russian. Did u pay $140ish for the galvanized tub? I'm gonna try and hold out for a sake. Hopefully it's soon! Otherwise I will crack under the excitement of making a new enclosure and spend the dough!

*sale

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup. That's about what we paid for it. it's a great enclosure. We are about to upgrade the big kids out of it and put the baby sullie in it. We have definitely gotten our money's worth out if it

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
And do what? :p
Tom said:
Better than a smaller tank, but I still like bigger. Its really easy to stand up some 2x12s around the edges of a 4x8' sheet of plywood.

The casters are a great idea!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LisaTurtle said:
Tom, I cannot convince my hubby on 4x8. If I had my way the entire garage or spare bedroom would be a tort mansion! I'm already taking over the backyard and trying to turn it into Tortland :)

I totally understand. I have the same problem with my wife. I can envision a beautiful tortoise paradise in our back yard. She just want a regular back yard.

We are looking for property right now that will allow both of us to pursue our dreams.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Tom said:
LisaTurtle said:
Tom, I cannot convince my hubby on 4x8. If I had my way the entire garage or spare bedroom would be a tort mansion! I'm already taking over the backyard and trying to turn it into Tortland :)

I totally understand. I have the same problem with my wife. I can envision a beautiful tortoise paradise in our back yard. She just want a regular back yard.

We are looking for property right now that will allow both of us to pursue our dreams.

Such a great compromise [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Tom said:
LisaTurtle said:

We are doing the same thing! We dont plan to sell & buy a new place for another 2-3 years but outdoor space for Tortland is big on my list (hubby just wants acreage) and I'd like dedicated space inside the house for a designer tort table. I don't think I'm asking too much!

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Ok I think I've ruled out this metal container. The hunt continues!