Check List Needed

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Hoping to get our Russian Tortoise within next couple of weeks. We are in process of creating habitat and purchasing necessary items. Trying to see if there is a checklist anywhere to make sure we haven't forgotten anything (other than "salad stuff").

If there is such a thing, can someone please direct me?

1. Do most of you use something specific for food/salad dish?

2. Do you feed in morning or evening?

3. Do you supplement "greens" with any pet store "tortoise food" or calcium? If so, how often on the calcium?

4. How often do you add fruit into diet?

I have ideas on most of above but depending on what you read and where I've seen varying answers.

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hoping to get our Russian Tortoise within next couple of weeks. We are in process of creating habitat and purchasing necessary items. Trying to see if there is a checklist anywhere to make sure we haven't forgotten anything (other than "salad stuff").

If there is such a thing, can someone please direct me?

1. Do most of you use something specific for food/salad dish?

2. Do you feed in morning or evening?

3. Do you supplement "greens" with any pet store "tortoise food" or calcium? If so, how often on the calcium?

4. How often do you add fruit into diet?

I have ideas on most of above but depending on what you read and where I've seen varying answers.

Thanks!
1. Food on a piece of flat rock or slate to help with beak maintenance. Water in a terracotta plant saucer. Pet store reptile bowls are not suitable and are a tipping hazard.

2. In the morning - what's a tort supposed to do all day without food? Establish a routine: Lights on with a timer, soak, clean enclosure and place food, replace tort. It will help your tort to settle.

3. Sprinkle a small amount of calcium on the food 3 times a week. Leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure.

4. No fruit for a Russian. They can't digest the sugars - it causes kidney and digestive problems. Fruit, bell pepper, carrot and tomato should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Everything you need to know about Russians
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA

Thanks.....I do have similar list and thankfully have access to many of these things from store, farmers market and my own gardens.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks.....I do have similar list and thankfully have access to many of these things from store, farmers market and my own gardens.
You don't have to feed all of these, or even get a wide variety in a week let alone a day.

If you buy anything, use it up and then buy something different next time. With a small tort there will inevitably be some waste unless you and your family increase your greens intake. (I can always rustle up a salad ;) )

That's where the picked greens - garden plants and weeds - are so good!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Thanks! Will do! We don't have him/her yet. We are setting up habitat tomorrow.....have a large reptile tank arriving and have all the other supplies ready to go inside (including "wallpaper" in case our new friend doesn't like glass). Hoping to rescue one, but want to set up lights and make sure everything is working properly for a few days before putting anyone in there!

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
You don't have to feed all of these, or even get a wide variety in a week let alone a day.

If you buy anything, use it up and then buy something different next time. With a small tort there will inevitably be some waste unless you and your family increase your greens intake. (I can always rustle up a salad ;) )

That's where the picked greens - garden plants and weeds - are so good!

Thankfully, I like most kinds of greens so maybe this will help me pack healthier lunches for work! Any opinions of spinach or raw carrots? I've read mixed opinions on both!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thankfully, I like most kinds of greens so maybe this will help me pack healthier lunches for work! Any opinions of spinach or raw carrots? I've read mixed opinions on both!
If you reread what I said about sugars earlier, you would see that carrots are included in the list of things that are high in sugars that should be only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all. Fruit, bell peppers and tomato should also be avoided.

Spinach is high in oxalic acid and is 'do not feed' according to The Tortoise Table Plant Database.

TTT is extremely good for looking up potential foods for suitability for your Russian. Here's the link again

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks! Will do! We don't have him/her yet. We are setting up habitat tomorrow.....have a large reptile tank arriving and have all the other supplies ready to go inside (including "wallpaper" in case our new friend doesn't like glass). Hoping to rescue one, but want to set up lights and make sure everything is working properly for a few days before putting anyone in there!
Looking forward to seeing the pics.