Cheap-ish edible succulent species for in enclosures?

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsboro, NC
I would like to plant some succulents inside my tortoise enclosures, something that would be safe to eat if they wanted, and something cheap enough to replace regularly if needed.

For Radiata, Burmese stars and spider tortosies.

TisMary

New York
Hi @jcase! Here's my suggestion. First, if you don't know which USDA Hardiness Zone you're in, enter your city or zip code here: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. Next, identify succulents that can live outside in your zone. CHOOSING SUCCULENTS FOR ZONE 7 & 8 - TEXAS, GEORGIA, VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA Finally, cross-reference the plants you think you want with the Tortoise Table Plant Database's section on Cacti and Succulents to make sure they're safe to feed (in general, species of echevaria, gasteria, sedum, haworthia, opuntia (a cactus), and sempervivum are safe).

You should end up with a list of safe to feed succulents that grow well in your neck of the proverbial woods! Good luck!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Hi @jcase! Here's my suggestion. First, if you don't know which USDA Hardiness Zone you're in, enter your city or zip code here: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. Next, identify succulents that can live outside in your zone. CHOOSING SUCCULENTS FOR ZONE 7 & 8 - TEXAS, GEORGIA, VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA Finally, cross-reference the plants you think you want with the Tortoise Table Plant Database's section on Cacti and Succulents to make sure they're safe to feed (in general, species of echevaria, gasteria, sedum, haworthia, opuntia (a cactus), and sempervivum are safe).

You should end up with a list of safe to feed succulents that grow well in your neck of the proverbial woods! Good luck!
Hello TisMary,

I'm in 7b, north carolina, so I appreciate that link.

Sorry I should have been more specific, these are for the indoor habitats for hatchlings and juveniles. For the outdoor enclosures we have native prickly pear cacti

TisMary

New York
Hello TisMary,

I'm in 7b, north carolina, so I appreciate that link.

Sorry I should have been more specific, these are for the indoor habitats for hatchlings and juveniles. For the outdoor enclosures we have native prickly pear cacti
No problem @jcase! All those succulents that I mentioned grow just fine indoors too! Don't have any Sedum, indoors, but I grow all the rest of them under plant lights (lots of posts about those elsewhere in TFO). I did have these in with our Beardie, but he's way too rough on them. I moved them into my "plant table ICU" and have just let the pups grow from the main stem. They're nice little bite-sized pieces for a hatchling!

DSCN3471.JPG

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
No problem @jcase! All those succulents that I mentioned grow just fine indoors too! Don't have any Sedum, indoors, but I grow all the rest of them under plant lights (lots of posts about those elsewhere in TFO). I did have these in with our Beardie, but he's way too rough on them. I moved them into my "plant table ICU" and have just let the pups grow from the main stem. They're nice little bite-sized pieces for a hatchling!

View attachment 331520
Wish Lowes would actually label the species, thank you. Will try to match your pictures.