Che / basking light placement in closed chamber

J H

5 Year Member
I am almost done with my indoor red foot closed chamber. It's 6x3x30". I'm trying to figure out the best placement for heat sources. I figure spot light on one end but what about CHE's? Do I try to keep them on one end in the middle or both ends? All on one end I would have better thermal gradient right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't keep RFs, but I do keep a lot of closed chambers.

You should not use a spot lamp with any species they concentrate too much heat and IR-A in one area and it is extremely desiccating to a tortoises carapace. Instead use a flood bulb or regular round bulb. I use 65 watt floods for my species, but RFs are different.

I generally have two CHE's and spread them evenly over the enclosure to maintain ambient all over.

This has worked well for me with my species.

J H

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. So is the regular bulb just for light I take it then ? I have read a lot of your posts on closed chambers. It's what gave me the idea to build one. What about using normal ceramic light fixtures (for home ceiling lights) instead of hanging ones as long as I can get temp right? I'm going for the cleanest look possible since this is going to be in a main area of the house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about using normal ceramic light fixtures (for home ceiling lights) instead of hanging ones as long as I can get temp right? I'm going for the cleanest look possible since this is going to be in a main area of the house.

These can work, but you lose the adjustability of being able to move them up or down to get the correct basking temp under them. You might have to use larger wattage bulbs and then install an in-line rheostat to control the temperatures.

Be aware that even low wattage bulbs can easily over heat a large closed chamber. This is one of the things that makes them so desirable to me. I can maintain correct warm humid conditions with a minimum of effort and electricity.

J H

5 Year Member
I plan to put the Che's on a thermostat. So floods are good for a basking spot and light with out dehydrating? I would like to get this all figured out so I get it right the first time. Any guess on wattage for 2 Che's in that size enclosure? My house is generally at 70 deg all the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I plan to put the Che's on a thermostat. So floods are good for a basking spot and light with out dehydrating? I would like to get this all figured out so I get it right the first time. Any guess on wattage for 2 Che's in that size enclosure? My house is generally at 70 deg all the time.

ALL incandescent bulbs are dehydrating and desiccating. We have not found a better alternative yet. They need heat and light and this is still the favored way of providing it.

I'd go with 100 or 150 watt CHE's. Since they will be controlled by a thermostat, you don't have to worry about them overheating the enclosure.

J H

5 Year Member
So should I go with Che's and tube fluorescents? And just skip the incandescents? On a side note I've seen your posts on sulcatas. I'm thinking of adopting one sometime form my local herp society. I've seen a few smaller 15-18" that are 15 yrs old or so. That's pretty much the size they will be for life right (major growing is done right). Since they will have to live in the house in winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So should I go with Che's and tube fluorescents? And just skip the incandescents? On a side note I've seen your posts on sulcatas. I'm thinking of adopting one sometime form my local herp society. I've seen a few smaller 15-18" that are 15 yrs old or so. That's pretty much the size they will be for life right (major growing is done right). Since they will have to live in the house in winter.

I'd prefer an experienced RF keeper answer the basking question for you. Seem do and some don't. I don't know one way or the other since I don't keep them.

If you start caring for one of those "mini-sulcatas" the right way, it will most likely grow and eventually get normal size.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I would like a more experienced RF keeper to chime in too but I will add my 2 cents. I only use a CHE and uv tube light in my chamber. One reason is that a 40w bulb would over heat the enclosure. The other reason is that I've never seen my adults bask. My thoughts are that RFs are forest dwellers. I've been to the forests of northern South America and you're not going to find a basking spot because forests are shady places.

J H

5 Year Member
That makes sense to me. So Bob my RF is supposed to be about 7 yrs old according to the person I got him from. He is prob 6-7" SLC. He has some pyramiding and was kept very dry. Prob 40% humidity. In a small vivarium maybe 3'x18" along with a slightly smaller yellow foot. There were not getting along well (supprise right ). Think he will grow much more now that I'm trying to do it right?