"Chain" Pet Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear929

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I went to a "Chain" pet store recently because the "mom and pop" pet store closes at 8:00 and I desperatly needed a new heat bulb. Of course, when you see they are selling a tortoise, you have to look! They had two baby russians (In PA tortoises have to be over 4 in.), 2 iguianas and 2 red-eared sliders in the same display case. And I do say "display case" There were two bowls of water, half-full, not full enough for the red-ears to fully emerge. One of the russians (and if I may say, one of the cutest I have seen) was trying to bite the tail of one of the iguanas.
I was disgusted! This was also the place where my friends had bought me one of my tortoises, as a present (they didn't know any better) and the store told them to feed him iceberg lettuce and tomatoes! I got him off that diet right away.

Something needs to be done about these stores...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
which chain was it?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Don't shop there if you don't like their practices... how desperate could u have been for a heat lamp? a tort won't die if it doesn't have a heat lamp right away

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have had pretty good luck in introducing myself to the pet store manager and giving him the option of taking a care sheet or not, "Hi, my name is Yvonne (hands him my card) and I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue here in Clovis. I see that you have a couple of Russian tortoises for sale here in the store. I have a really nice care sheet on Russian tortoises. Would you like to have a couple, for free, to give to the customers who buy these two tortoises?" And because I gave him my card, he frequently calls me with questions about turtles and tortoises. I have found that if you offer suggestions in a pleasant manner, and not accuse them of poor husbandry, they are much more willing to take your ideas and apply them to their displays.

Rather than trying to put them out of business or reporting them, try a helpful and educating approach.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Yvonne, you are so right! even tho you may be steaming and want to scream, the best approach is what you mention. If things dont change, then you can step up the approach. If you dont want to face someone, then print out info and write a note and give it to them annonomously.
Ive done this with a local pet shop and it so far, has worked great!

Status
Not open for further replies.